i7 6700k 100 degree temps, stumped!

Judderz1987

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
specs are

i7 6700k
Gigabyte G1 Sniper B150
16Gb (4x4) ddr4 2133
coolermaster 212 evo air cooler (was using raijintek triton 240 water AIO, thought this was the problem, but guess not)
MSI GTX 980 OC 4GB
XFX Black edition 900wattt
3TB sata 3 hdd
250GB kingston ssd (OS)

Set up in April, no issues temps at the time in idle were 30. Never thought to check under load
3 months later for some unknown reason i decided to check the temps while ingame. im reaching 100 degrees. took the AIO out, reseated, repasted. still the same....took it out again due to bad reviews on the triton, put in the 212 evo air cooler....still the same, 100 during games, instant drop down to 30s when i come out.

did a successful flash on the bios - still hits 100 degrees in games.
Never overclocked...everythings stock
HWMonitor shows my vcore min 0.372 - max 1.327 avg in idle is 0.4-0.7

CPU is straight, no bends, same goes for heat spreader.

bios set to optimised settings after flash.

62 degrees whilst in the bios also

really stuck now so need your help

Judderz1987

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

Don't have a spare laying around lol

Set the voltage to manual for vcore in the bios to something like 1.25. I think mine is running ar 1.2 vcore. When i ran it stock when i first got it the damn thing was running hot as hell and during load testing in game was hitting 1.4 volts on the vcore. The stock voltage control is rubbish. I would look at a overclocking guide but instead of overclocking just follow the part about adjusting voltages. This lowered my temps to a max of 55-56c under full load. Also try something like i believe its occt to watch temps and maybe even nzxt's cam software. Sometimes hwmonitor can be a little inaccurate. It would REALLY be helpful if you could run hwmonitor then take a screen shot so we can see what the cpu is really doing. Post a image of the screen shot on here

Judderz1987

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

CnSL06sXEAABVaj

CnSNZ9eWYAQW9mU

It's the only ss I can give till tomorrow

Yea you are almost at 1.37 volts when under load. Thats WAY to high especially for stock. Go into your bios and try what i mentioned i have done to mine. The stock voltage control is terrible on most motherboards/software. Also how much past did you put on when you installed the coolers. Also i know its stupid but did you remove the plastic that protects the copper heat pipes on the bottom of the hyper 212 before installing the cooler? I've seen this happen before so it's why i ask. Another good thing to do is in your bios make sure the cpu fans are running at max. This could possibly have been the issue witht he liquid cooler if you didnt have the pump speed set to max speed. In the first screen shot ignore the 100c temp. If im not mistaken thats the temp that just go hay wire on people. I used to be able to watch mine go from 0c-100c and everywhere in between while sitting idle at the desktop. The cpu temps or "core temps" are all you REALLY need to worry about here.

Judderz1987

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015

CnTetoKWgAQW2II.jpg:large

changed the vcore voltage in bios to 1.225 and set cpu fan to max, still hit 100

just a pea sized blob of paste as normal.

its really stumping me now lol

yes plastic was removed lol had the same problem with the water cooler

just noticed that even though my mobo vcore is set to 1.225 the cpu is still hitting 1.315. surely this shouldnt be happening?

Tried turning off turbo boost tech as this was bumping it up to 4.2ghz

Still no luck

Judderz1987

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
i loosened the back plate on my mobo, temps were good, I then figured I had the washers on the screws instead of between the mobo and nuts which was putting slightly extra pressure on the CPU (hasn't bent luckily) and a lot of pressure on the rubber on the back plate which was pressing against some solder pins. So I'm assuming even though it was cooling it was also heating from the back lol. All is good now max temps are 60 under full load and 25-27 idle