i7 6700k availability any one?

fadaboey

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
To keep things short, when can we expect to get our hands on the i7 6700k? It's not on Amazon or Ebay. But the i5 6600k is available which is weird.
Whats going on?

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Amazon had them mid August...but sold out shortly afterwards. The reason is that they aren't sold by Amazon, but by 3rd parties who got some early samples, who knows where, and they gouge the heck out of the prices. I saw them for $550 to $700 before sold out, when that chip's MSRP is $350.

You'll have to wait and hold your breath until about mid to late September or early October to get your hands on one. Intel promised September, and it will be out before Christmas, but stand in line-there will be a lot of others wanting one.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
The Amazon 6700k processors were sold by exporters. The thing is, the people who bought them may well not even have them by now... they usually gave September shipping estimates.

Intel really botched the US release. All the system builders got the i7 6700k processors, and it seems no boxed processors made it into the US market.

I have one pre-ordered through B&H. Estimated availability used to be Aug 31. Now it's Sep 10th.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
B&H's site still lists no stock because they never received them in store. I got an E-mail from them yesterday stating that my order was sent to their distributor, and would be shipped directly to me. And today I got my tracking number.

I pre-ordered mine within a day or two of them starting to take pre-orders, so I was probably close to the top of the list. Their supplier probably told them that they had X processors for them, and so B&H forwarded that number of orders to them to ship direct. So they are still out of stock on the site, but those with pre-orders are getting their 6700ks.

Best bet is call them and see if they filled all the pre-orders, or only a few. The other thing I would do is start refreshing all the E-tailers who don't take preorders, because if this is any indication, a batch of boxed i7 processors are on their way to various retailers RIGHT NOW!

MagicTwelve

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015

It's still just 3rd party sellers through amazon jacking the price up.

fadaboey

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
True. I'm still waiting for the original intel price that's $350. ;)
But, if I can't get it by the end of this month, then i5 would be my only choice.
Now I regret buying this motherboard and ram.

I'm already tired of waiting... :D

Yeah, I broke down and got the i5 after waiting a couple of weeks after getting my motherboard and RAM, as we started to get indications that the i7 supply issue would potentially take months to resolve itself. I didn't really need the i7 as I'm primarily a gamer, I just thought it would be nice to have for a bit of futureproofing, but I would feel bad for those who do stuff that the i7 immediately benefits. At this point, I'd say if you really need i7 class performance, you might be better off returning the motherboard if you can and look at X99 and the 5820k, it's at least available.