Question i7-6700k base clock is higher than turbo

Scorpion89

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
So I've just upgraded to a i7-6700k but on Userbenchmarks it says my base clock is 4Ghz and my Turbo clock is 3.9Ghz. Am I missing something here? I thought the turbo clock should be around 4.2Ghz for the i7-6700k, or at least higher than the base clock. I'm a complete noob, anyone any ideas?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What mobo? If you are using a 200 series mobo, I believe there's an AVX offset in bios. If the benchmark uses any AVX whatsoever, the cpu will automatically downclock the offset amount. Base clocks are read as part of the cpu-ID, they are factory set, but since turbo speeds are variable it might be reading your turbo minus offset.

Base speeds are only used upto @ 30% loads before turbo kicks the cpu up, so since the benchmark is using 80-100% loads, it's not actually measuring base speeds, just turbo speeds. It's also possible that the cpu is thermally throttling under the benchmark usage, dropping you down to 3.9GHz under such a heavy load.

Hard to say exactly why since nobody but you can see the conditions and restrictions you have in place.

mgallo848

Commendable
1: Go to your BIOS and reset it to default settings. There may have been a setting in place from the previous CPU that doesn't work properly with the new CPU.
2: If that doesn't work, you may need a BIOS update for your motherboard to properly run the new CPU.

Please list your make/model motherboard, what BIOS your currently have and what was the previous CPU you used.

Scorpion89

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Its a pre built PC, a Asus G11CD, the motherboard is a H110/G11CD I'm guessing its some kind of custom one for these PC's. The previous CPU was a i5-6400.

Ok so I was just in the bios and I'm not entirely sure what happened but it began updating itself and it now has the latest driver lol, I'm such a noob. So the bios has changed slightly and I've now noticed in the specs that it now says max speed 4GHZ, so im guessing its throttling back when it goes into turbo so it doesent go over 4GHZ. I'm guessing I'd be best off disabling turbo then to get the full 4Ghz if thats the max for the motherboard?

mgallo848

Commendable
The most recent BIOS is version 1002:

There's been 9 BIOS updates since launch for that PC. They all say "improve system stability" so I can't say for certain if you need to update it or not. I've never heard of the BIOS updating all by itself so I'm sure if what you were seeing was correct.

If you're uncertain how to update your BIOS I would either get help from someone or take your time and read how to update it. BIOS updates are easy to do but you want to make sure it's done correctly.

Scorpion89

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
The bios didn't update by itself, I'm such a dumb dumb, I was updating various drivers in device manager and I updated the chipset one, so when I restarted the computer and came out of bios it then started updating. I didnt realise it was that easy to do but I now have version 1002 which is the latest one apparently.

I just disabled turbo in the bios but im still getting 4Ghz for base and it says 3.9Ghz still for turbo, but if turbo it disabled how is it being measured? Confused.