Question i7 6700K BSOD - Windows Hardware Error

Nov 10, 2020
So I have been using this build for 2 months now and yesterday I got the BSOD - WHEA and the computer went to reboot and now won't turn on. I get a black screen and no POST with a red CPU error led on the mobo. I have tried upgrading the mobo BIOS and the integrated graphics drivers but the fact that it randomly quit like that tells me that it's probably something else since the drivers and bios worked fine before for 2 months. This happened when I was running something with high memory usage.

I tried a G4400 CPU in the computer and it boots up no problem so makes me think the CPU failed somehow. I haven't overclocked it and have an AIO cooler so not sure how that would be possible?Now when inspecting connections 1 of the 4 pin cpu connectors was loose which may explain why it was able to boot with the G4400 but maybe the i7-6700k draws more power and wasn't able to boot although once I fixed the connection I still get no POST with the i7. Could something have been fried if the connector was loose to the point that a CPU with lower draw would still work?

Possible issues I have read include Old MOBO Bios, dead CPU, bad drivers, bad PSU, something to do with XMP and Ram clocks? Maybe it has to do with the ram since it quite during a memory-intensive process. I'm not sure what else the issue could be. Anyone have suggestions?

Components:
MOBO:
Asus Z270-A Prime
CPU: i7 6700k
Cooler : DEEPCOOL Gammaxx L240 V2
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB DDR4-3200
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ

Edited: Added components

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020
make and model of the psu?
is the ram from 1 kit?
Yes the ram is all from the same kit. The PSU is EVGA GQ 750w so it is should be providing enough power. I also had a second PSU, same model that I just tested it with and I still go the red CPU Led and no POST.