i7 6700's (non k) roughly lifespan for games (with boost)

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Hi, so I have bought an i7 6700 3,4 ghz 3 years ago, but with a booster an can go up to 3.9 quadcore.

Roughly taken, how long am I safe for future games?
If upgrade needed, when and which one?
My motherboard is a Z170 gaming A and I have 16 gig ram ddr4 on it as well. Graphicscard is being upgraded to either 1060 or 1070. Gaming on 1080p.

Thanks in advance
Kind regards.

Solution
I personally feel like a 6th gen i7 is going to be good for a few years yet.

I would watch the price on 1060, in that they are so in demand as a mainstream card that we haven't even seen a whole lot of downward movement on price in with the "break" in mining. That has not been the case for 70/80 series cards. Even now, depending on feature, the price difference between a nice 1060 and a "stock" 1080 is barely over $100.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In general and without failures most folks don't recommend changing out Intel proc until around 4 gen newer.
I feel that according to the level of CPU and what expectations you have, without factoring in new GPU, more RAM, ect that can lengthen usable life, that 4 or more years of good use isn't out of the question for many titles, particularly if you game behind the curve on new.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In a case like this I would think ahead to the build you may consider doing a couple of years from now and what you think those needs may be and select a GPU that suits that idea as a carry on part. Truly is a good time to pick up GTX1070/80 for a nice price...

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I'm planning to do so. Not out yet if I should buy 1060 or 1070 but, on topic, I have a cpu witha turbo booster as said above. So I don't need an upgrade for the next 3 years?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I personally feel like a 6th gen i7 is going to be good for a few years yet.

I would watch the price on 1060, in that they are so in demand as a mainstream card that we haven't even seen a whole lot of downward movement on price in with the "break" in mining. That has not been the case for 70/80 series cards. Even now, depending on feature, the price difference between a nice 1060 and a "stock" 1080 is barely over $100.

Solution

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016

Hi, so I just noticed something. I was thinking about the future what I would want to upgrade next after the GPU. In a few years I wanted to upgrade to a new CPU. But by doing so, my mobo and ram may get lost in the process :( . Apperantly, I can't upgrade to another CPU, except the i7 7700k but I need a bios update and it went wrong last time around I did this with my old motherboard (m-flashed to wrong updates). So that's the last thing I want to do here. Would rather buy a new motherboard... If I only knew, I would've gone for a cheaper motherboard or an i7 6700k. I won't be doing this a second time that's for sure.

In any case, I hope you're right and I won't have to upgrade untill 4 years from now cause I hate this kind of stuff.
Is the stock cooler also good enough? Or do I need another cooler. I have an Aerocool GT-A white: 1 front fan, 1 back fan and 2 topfans.
I'm upgrading to an RX580 too btw.