Question I7 7700

Mar 31, 2019
Hello Folks,
New to the forum today and here is my first question, I currently have 2 custom built workstations that have been built to run Siemens Solid Edge and the other to run Keyshot Pro.. so my question is My 3 rd machine for general use is an i5 7400, 8Gb ddr4 memory and the board is Asus prime B250 m-k I would like if possible upgrade this machine. What would be the best path ? New i7 7700 or more memory. I would use it for occasional Cad work [ when my other 2 machines are tied up.]

Regards,
Raymond.

Mar 31, 2019
Sorry, to clear things up a little.. The 2 workstations that I had commissioned are my main machines WS 1 is as follows.. Intel i9 9900k, 64 Gb Corsair DDR4 2666, Samsung 970 Pro [2] and Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti. Board is Asus Maximus Extreme XI. The cad system is Siemens Nx which is single threaded software hence less, but faster cores.
WS2 Is for running Keyshot Pro rendering software and because it is Multi threaded I went with the following 2x AMD EPYC 7281 16 Core ,128GB ECC Registered DDR4 2666MHz, Board is Supermicro H11DSI, AMD chipset, Drives are 1 Samsung 970 Pro 1Tb, and HGST external drive for storage. GPU is Quadro P5000.

The machine I would like to upgrade [ if feasible ] is only for Light Cad if my main machines are tied up. so would not be used for heavy Cad work [ only some smaller Parts / Assemblies. I have a spare gtx 1060 floating around somewhere so maybe that and the i7 7700 or more memory. This is only to gain a little extra from he basic machine and I don't want to more or less rebuild it . If that was the case it might be financially better to get another new machine for the Light tasks.
Regards.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah in that case a 7700k would be the best bet. I know you wont be overclocking but the 7700k will still work on your motherboard and benefits from much faster base and boost clocks, giving much better single core performance (boosts to 4.5ghz on 1 core).