[SOLVED] i7-7700HQ having random, extremely high temp spikes.

Aug 22, 2020
for reference, this is a Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop.

when i'm playing games that require a heavy load (Remnant: From the Ashes, MHW: Iceborne, etc.), i'll notice that during gaming, while my computer "idles" around mid-70s to low 80s, i'll notice completely random, absurd spikes into the 90s, but, it'll immediately go back down to the norm after about a second or less and level out. nothing bad seems to be happening, but it does worry me just a lil'. i did recently dust out everything and replace the thermal paste on my CPU/GPU since it had been over 2 years since i got this laptop.

i'm using this cooler with it as well.

i just want to know if i should be concerned with these random temperature spikes or if it's just something that happens. like i said, as far as i can tell, it's only a very brief, 1-ish second spike before it goes back down. i'm wondering if i should maybe go back in and try re-doing my paste again, though, i don't think it'll help.

i was also wondering if there was anything else i could possibly to do reduce my temps other then a cooler. i heard something about undervolting?

Last edited:
Solution
hmm, yeah, i was watching a guide since i was unsure about undervolting and they mentioned turning it on, so, i did so. i'll turn it off and see what happens; that's most likely the culprit, though, since a google search says that it's for adjusting CPU frequencies.

but, as long as the temperatures don't stay in the 90c range and immediately dip back down, it shouldn't be too harmful to my CPU, correct?
Yup it should be fine if the temperature stays within 70 to 80. 80 to 90 is fine but i not comfortable with that. Speedshifts causes a lot of stuttering for me in games. It's adjusting cpu freq based on the needs. If it's outside of gaming like in desktop then it's useful. But in games, certain area may no need a lot of cpu...

poorbugger

Distinguished
for reference, this is a Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop.

when i'm playing games that require a heavy load (Remnant: From the Ashes, MHW: Iceborne, etc.), i'll notice that during gaming, while my computer "idles" around mid-70s to low 80s, i'll notice completely random, absurd spikes into the 90s, but, it'll immediately go back down to the norm after about a second or less and level out. nothing bad seems to be happening, but it does worry me just a lil'. i did recently dust out everything and replace the thermal paste on my CPU/GPU since it had been over 2 years since i got this laptop.

i'm using this cooler with it as well.

i just want to know if i should be concerned with these random temperature spikes or if it's just something that happens. like i said, as far as i can tell, it's only a very brief, 1-ish second spike before it goes back down. i'm wondering if i should maybe go back in and try re-doing my paste again, though, i don't think it'll help.

i was also wondering if there was anything else i could possibly to do reduce my temps other then a cooler. i heard something about undervolting?
It seems to me that the paste doesnt cover everything. Try to repaste it. Idling around mid 70 is way too high especially for helios 300. So here's my advice for you.

1. Repaste.
  2. Clean out the vents and fans.
  3. Make sure everything is connected.
  4. When you placed back the heatsink, press a bit more on the cpu and gpu. Once you placed it down, do not lift it up again or else you'll need to repaste.
  5. Download throttlestop and undervolt it. 7700hq should be able to achieve at least -110mv undervolt based on my experience but this depends on silicon lottery.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm_XBN6c1J8

Aug 22, 2020
It seems to me that the paste doesnt cover everything. Try to repaste it. Idling around mid 70 is way too high especially for helios 300. So here's my advice for you.

1. Repaste.
  2. Clean out the vents and fans.
  3. Make sure everything is connected.
  4. When you placed back the heatsink, press a bit more on the cpu and gpu. Once you placed it down, do not lift it up again or else you'll need to repaste.
  5. Download throttlestop and undervolt it. 7700hq should be able to achieve at least -110mv undervolt based on my experience but this depends on silicon lottery.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm_XBN6c1J8

no, no. my idle temps are around 35-40c. i was mentioning that my gameplay idle (as in, standing around in game, doing nothing) is about mid 70s in high performance games, which seems OK for a laptop. i was just curious if those absurdly high spikes were anything to be concerned about. they only seem to happen when something is loading, which is strange, because i didn't notice temps like this before.

i actually did get Throttlestop and undervolt. my temps seemed to have gone down about 10c, which is great, though, it feels like my performance has taken a bit of a hit. i'm noticing some stuttering that wasn't there before. i guess i'll have to play around with some settings to see if i can fix it.

poorbugger

Distinguished
no, no. my idle temps are around 35-40c. i was mentioning that my gameplay idle (as in, standing around in game, doing nothing) is about mid 70s in high performance games, which seems OK for a laptop. i was just curious if those absurdly high spikes were anything to be concerned about. they only seem to happen when something is loading, which is strange, because i didn't notice temps like this before.

i actually did get Throttlestop and undervolt. my temps seemed to have gone down about 10c, which is great, though, it feels like my performance has taken a bit of a hit. i'm noticing some stuttering that wasn't there before. i guess i'll have to play around with some settings to see if i can fix it.
That's likely to be normal since your cpu needs to load up the level and during gaming, the cpu usage may not be that high. Mid 70s sounds reasonable for a gaming laptop. That's odd about undervolting. You should disable speedshift if you have it enabled on throttlestop because it causes a lot of stuttering for me last time.

Aug 22, 2020
That's likely to be normal since your cpu needs to load up the level and during gaming, the cpu usage may not be that high. Mid 70s sounds reasonable for a gaming laptop. That's odd about undervolting. You should disable speedshift if you have it enabled on throttlestop because it causes a lot of stuttering for me last time.

hmm, yeah, i was watching a guide since i was unsure about undervolting and they mentioned turning it on, so, i did so. i'll turn it off and see what happens; that's most likely the culprit, though, since a google search says that it's for adjusting CPU frequencies.

but, as long as the temperatures don't stay in the 90c range and immediately dip back down, it shouldn't be too harmful to my CPU, correct?

poorbugger

Distinguished

Yup it should be fine if the temperature stays within 70 to 80. 80 to 90 is fine but i not comfortable with that. Speedshifts causes a lot of stuttering for me in games. It's adjusting cpu freq based on the needs. If it's outside of gaming like in desktop then it's useful. But in games, certain area may no need a lot of cpu power so it drops the cpu freq but when you need it, it will rise back up. The inconsistencies cause the stutters.

Solution