i7 7700K @ 5.0 Safe temperatures and voltage

majesticisonfire

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
As the title says, what is the safe voltage and temperature for the 7700K at 5.0, at this moment I’m using the default 5.0 profile loaded by the ROG Z270E and everything is on auto, I would like to hear you suggestions about the voltage.

Cheers.

Solution
Oddly enough when I fired up my 7700k for the first time it threw 1.368 volts at it, which is high for stock. I tried Gigabyte's 5Ghz profile and it was only slightly off, I actually had to give it a little more voltage for stability.

Safe is relative, but 1.4 volts is about where I draw the line for daily use. And that is with water cooling to keep it around 80C under a heavy load.
(I also delidded the CPU with standard thermal compound)

Which is pretty much what Computronix landed on.

For extreme cases I have seen people push 1.5volts to get 5.3Ghz, but that certainly wouldn't last too long and you need silly things like direct die cooling or chilled systems.
you dont want to use auto settings when over-clocking. especially with voltages. so disable the overclock until some 1 comes along and tells you how to oc that cpu. i cant as i dont have it but i do know that auto settings can seriously over volt your cpu and damage it even in the short term.

WildCard999

Titan
TH Overclocking Sticky.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3038208/overclocking-cooling-water-cooling-sticky-index.html

The Intel Temperature Guide by CompuTronix is good for your needs, it tells you what temp to stay within as well as voltage limits and goes through overclocking.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Read thoroughly through the guides then overclock. When testing using Prime95 make sure it's version 26.6 as newer versions can override your voltage causing higher temps, also don't bother with Intel Burn Test, it's junk IMHO as it also causes higher temps due to too much voltage. The correct version of Prime95 as well as monitoring tools are linked in the Intel Temperature Guide, good luck!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Oddly enough when I fired up my 7700k for the first time it threw 1.368 volts at it, which is high for stock. I tried Gigabyte's 5Ghz profile and it was only slightly off, I actually had to give it a little more voltage for stability.

Safe is relative, but 1.4 volts is about where I draw the line for daily use. And that is with water cooling to keep it around 80C under a heavy load.
(I also delidded the CPU with standard thermal compound)

Which is pretty much what Computronix landed on.

For extreme cases I have seen people push 1.5volts to get 5.3Ghz, but that certainly wouldn't last too long and you need silly things like direct die cooling or chilled systems.

Solution

nialbu91

Prominent
May 3, 2018
my setup: delidded 7700k 5ghz 1.345v, cpu LLC set to highest setting, uncore frequency also OCed to 5ghz. kept C-states on AUTO

I can do 5.1ghz at 1.385v, but its like 95% stable

the cooler I use is the corsair h115i