[SOLVED] i7-7700k bottlenecking?

thedaem

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016
Hi,

My Gaming rig consists of an i7-7700k and a RTX 2080 SUPER.
Recently I've noticed (during my upgrade from 1080 to 2080 SUPER) that the GPU isnt increasing my FPS by much,
Is it possible, that the i7-7700k is bottlenecking the GPU?

I was thinking about upgrading to a i9-10900k but dont know which motherboard I should pair it with as it barely is overclockable (as far as I've heard) so the Asus ROG Extreme seems overkill.

Could I get any feedback on that?

Kind regards,
thedaem

Solution
Hi,

Recently I've noticed (during my upgrade from 1080 to 2080 SUPER) that the GPU isnt increasing my FPS by much,

I was thinking about upgrading to a i9-10900k but dont know which motherboard I should pair it with as it barely is overclockable (as far as I've heard) so the Asus ROG Extreme seems overkill.

Kind regards,
thedaem

It will depend on what resolution / settings you are gaming at, I'm guessing 1080p? At low resolutions (at least for that class of gpu, a 2080 Super is really better suited to 1440p), the cpu is likely to be limiting factor.

Are you running the...
Hi,

Kind regards,
thedaem

It will depend on what resolution / settings you are gaming at, I'm guessing 1080p? At low resolutions (at least for that class of gpu, a 2080 Super is really better suited to 1440p), the cpu is likely to be limiting factor.

Are you running the 7700K at stock settings or overclocked? What memory have you got it paired with? Many of the games that people want to push very high fps (e.g. CS:GO and so on) don't really need that many threads, it's mainly about the single core speed so overclocking the 7700K to ~ 5ghz should give you pretty much same performance as the 10900k in single thread loads (as the 7000 series is based on same cpu core design as 10,000 series - the main difference is the newer versions offer more cores). There are quite a few of the 'AAA' games (e.g. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the latest Assassins Creed games and such) that do need more than 4 cores / 8 threads for best performance.

I would also say if you are upgrading for the best gaming cpu, I would look at an AM4 motherboard and one of the new AMD Ryzen 5000 series cpu's - the 5600X is faster than the 10900k at gaming thanks to higher per core performance and costs quite a bit less. If you want more than 6 cores the 5800X and 5900X are also both great a gaming (you don't really gain anything in current games going for more than 6 cores / 12 threads, however higher core counts will probably age better. same applies for Intel, the 10600K is as fast as the 10900K in games once overclocked to the same speed).

Solution

thedaem

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016

Are you running the 7700K at stock settings or overclocked? What memory have you got it paired with? Many of the games that people want to push very high fps (e.g. CS:GO and so on) don't really need that many threads, it's mainly about the single core speed so overclocking the 7700K to ~ 5ghz should give you pretty much same performance as the 10900k in single thread loads (as the 7000 series is based on same cpu core design as 10,000 series - the main difference is the newer versions offer more cores). There are quite a few of the 'AAA' games (e.g. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the latest Assassins Creed games and such) that do need more than 4 cores / 8 threads for best performance.

I would also say if you are upgrading for the best gaming cpu, I would look at an AM4 motherboard and one of the new AMD Ryzen 5000 series cpu's - the 5600X is faster than the 10900k at gaming thanks to higher per core performance and costs quite a bit less. If you want more than 6 cores the 5800X and 5900X are also both great a gaming (you don't really gain anything in current games going for more than 6 cores / 12 threads, however higher core counts will probably age better. same applies for Intel, the 10600K is as fast as the 10900K in games once overclocked to the same speed).
I want to run AAA Titles (right now COD:BOCW at 1080p 240hertz Monitor so if possible 240fps (which i think should be possible at low-ish settings)
I'm running the CPU at stock settings as I'm not that profficient with overclocking and past attempts have led to unstable performance or thermal issues.

I want to upgrade to the best gaming cpu which however would lead me to the 10900k or the 5950X as I want this to be somewhat futureproof.

I dont know what memory its its of the top of my head.

Maybe I can try to overclock the cpu and memory again this evening and see if I get it to run stable.

I want to run AAA Titles (right now COD:BOCW at 1080p 240hertz Monitor so if possible 240fps (which i think should be possible at low-ish settings)
I'm running the CPU at stock settings as I'm not that profficient with overclocking and past attempts have led to unstable performance or thermal issues.

I want to upgrade to the best gaming cpu which however would lead me to the 10900k or the 5950X as I want this to be somewhat futureproof.

I dont know what memory its its of the top of my head.

Maybe I can try to overclock the cpu and memory again this evening and see if I get it to run stable.
I have I7 7700K + Msi Z270 Gaming M5 + 16GB DDR4 3000mhz and RTX 2070 super from Zotac.. at 4.8Ghz I am able to fully utilise my GPU... And CPU is actually doing well.. I played Shadow of the tomb raider, RDR-2 COD MW Warzone.. and didn't faced any bottleneck.. CPU usage is good... Almost below 60% in most of games..
So I can say you can also use RTX 2080 without any issue... And maybe you are facing low FPS issues because of some other stuff.. not by CPU or Bottleneck