i7 7700k cache

henryccook

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I am curious as to what an l1, l2, and l3, cache do, and how big the i7 7700k's l1, l2, and l3 cache are. I am building a gaming rig for (even though it might sound funny), hardcore Minecraft. I also want to know if the cache size affects Minecraft at all.

Solution
They store the data to be processed by the CPU. Data goes from the hard disk, to the ram, to the cache on the CPU and then back again to be you know... done stuff with.

It's important but not largely important.

It probably does effect minecraft, but it's sort of impossible to measure, because you'd need the exact same CPU with different amounts of cache to properly measure the effect.

You can find out the cache sizes by looking at the product specifications page for any CPU on a manufacturer's website.
They store the data to be processed by the CPU. Data goes from the hard disk, to the ram, to the cache on the CPU and then back again to be you know... done stuff with.

It's important but not largely important.

It probably does effect minecraft, but it's sort of impossible to measure, because you'd need the exact same CPU with different amounts of cache to properly measure the effect.

You can find out the cache sizes by looking at the product specifications page for any CPU on a manufacturer's website.

Solution

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015

If you plan 7700K, have you considered 8700K which require Z370 mobo?

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
It is easy to overthink things. Bottom line is how much can you spend! Your questions are important in that you want to understand. I would suggest checking out Tom's Hardware reviews on CPU's. Cache is always an interesting topic, years ago someone wondered why they could not cache their entire memory. If you could then there would be no need for RAM. I was called an idiot for suggesting that it is not possible, which it is not. CPU architecture is a trade off between price, size, power consumption and a few other things. Pay what you can afford and remember as soon as you buy it something better will be just around the corner. I would focus on bottlenecks. BUS speed, memory speed, SATA bandwidth, graphics, etc.