i7 7700K does not work with ROG Maximus VIII Hero Mobo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

i7700kHeroVIII

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Hello all,

I am hoping that someone can hel pme here as I am at the end of my tether... I have recently (in the last week) bought a brand new ROG Maximus VIII Hero MoBo and a i7 7700K LGA 1151 CPU.

I installed both and all the other parts, booted the system and the board locks with a Q code of 62 and the VGA_LED (white light on).

I started trouble shooting, removed all the USB interfaces, removed the RAM (replaced the RAM, block by block in the correct order) removed the graphics card, removed everything and have tried all different cominations).... still the same issue.

So, I tried my ne CPU in someone elses PC that was compatable and their CPU in my board... my board started and went straight into BIOS... whoopi i thought, DOA CPU... easy, return and get refund...

I then bought the same i7 7700k form a different vendor.... and tonight the exact same problem... HELP please.

Solution
your cpu is kaby lake. the only way it will work with a z170 board is if a skylake cpu is installed in it first in order to flash the bios to newest version.

z270 boards support your cpu from the start

i7700kHeroVIII

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Hello all,

first of all thank you very much for the help that you guys have been giving, well @user11464 you were spot on with the first post. I friend of mine came around with his i7 6700k (6th gen SKylake) and then I flashed the BIOS!

what I can say is that the Flash bios button at the back of the board seems to be more for show than effect... perhaps i was using it wrong... who knows.

thanks

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
You could have flashed it without a CPU , THE BOARD SUPPORTS IT , YOU DIDN'T need a Skylake.

BIOS Flashback is supported , so you didn't need a Skylake CPU to update.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback
BIOS Flashback info if ever needed
:D

i7700kHeroVIII

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

A lot of the HIGH END ASUS Z Boards support the feature , just wanted you to know.

i7700kHeroVIII

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

Thank you, appreciate it. I have used it in the past with success and that's one of the reasons I like ROG but in this case it let me down (or probably I let it down)... all good now so very happy.

MrMamos

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

MrMamos

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
hello i have buy maximus impact with 7700k and have same problem and i fix it . You can make bios update with this accesories ! just you must remove cpu ,ram,gpu and usb cables from board . Get a usb stick FAT32 with bios file , change name file M8I.cap and plugin to usb bios flashback port. PC must be off push bios button for 3 sec and bios button start flashing. You must wait for some minutes to stop flashing , and its ready remove usb and instal cpu ram gpu and more and Ready