[SOLVED] i7 7700k overclocking trouble!? Help!

OKAMISC

Reputable
May 4, 2017
i7 7700K
GTX 1080 ti
16GB ram
Asus Z170-E (on latest bios)
EVGA 600w 80+ PSU
Hyper 212 evo w/ 2 fans on it (Push/Pull)

For the past 3 days I have had no luck in Overclocking my cpu. I've read around the internet at different guides and get what I'm suppose to be doing at this point. My problem is that I can not get a consistent cpu core voltage. I know that too much voltage leads to more heat being produced by the CPU and the first "guide" I saw on youtube, the guy said to set the cpu core voltage to 1.35. During my stress test with Aida64 extreme my temps were high 80-100 and I had CPU throttling. I then did more research and found more answers about LLC, I AC/ DC, adaptive over manual for core voltage and so on. I also saw other peoples results in OCing there 7700k and they were getting core voltages around 1.12 to 1.24.

After learning everything I gave it another go. But In adaptive mode, after all I've read, my cpu core voltage readings in CPUZ was and is reading 1.344-1.36, even though I set it to 1.24 in UEFI in manual mode. And before that I had it at 1.184 in UEFI but in CPUZ it was reading 1.232-1.244. At that time I had Adaptive mode on, offset sign +, turbo 1.184, offset to auto (i even tried to set offset to 0), i ac/ dc to 0.01, and LLC to level 4 and 5. So I was really confused as to why my voltage in CPUZ was different from what I set. I went back into UEFI and set cpu core voltage to manual and 1.184. And by turning that to manual and leaving everything as is CPUZ read it at 1.184. But While trying to stress test my computer "experienced unexpected errors" and tried restarted itself. I went back into UEFI and just set everything to default. and now even doing that my voltage is reading 1.344 in cpuz. Why is this happening!? Can I not Overclock my 7700K?
Any tips and support would be very much appreciated.

I should also mention that I ran a stress test last night at:
48 multiplier(4.8 ghz)
adaptive mode
offset sign +
turbo 1.184 (reading 1.24 in cpuz)
offset voltage 0
LLC level 5
i ac/dc 00.1

and when i awoke my PC had reset and Aida64 said that the test stopped unexpectedly 20 minutes in. So i just dont know what to do here. some guides say manual mode, while others say adaptive.

image of system after reverting everything to defaults(high cpu core voltage even though its on auto): https://imgur.com/ekilEfR

Solution
Sounds good to me. I used AIDA 64 to push my old i7-4770k 1.36 volts to get to 4.3Ghz as I recall. It ran 4.5Ghz, but as with you, nearly reached 100C. Never did find a decent 4.4Ghz stable point.

If you are running 4.8Ghz and are happy with the temperatures and stability in the programs you want to run, then mission accomplished.

1.28 is perfectly safe for everyday use. You could try an AVX specific benchmark and see if gets through that, if you really want to know if it is stable in a test other than AIDA64. Later versions of Prime95 will let you do that (Typically people use 26.6 since it doesn't do AVX testing)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1.184 is quite low, not surprised the system wasn't able to run AIDA64. That is a punishing test on default. LLC will skew the voltages, if the demand is high it increases the voltage to prevent drooping. So setting 1.184 and seeing 1.24 with LLC on is not unexpected.

You don't really mention a target speed. but 4.8Ghz should require around 1.3-1.35 volts for proper operation. Above that and you need serious cooling to keep an i7-7700k happy.

For example I am running 1.416 volts for 5.0Ghz with open loop water cooling and having delidded the CPU. Still reach the low 80s on occasion.

I can't really say what you've done incorrectly, other than making some bad assumptions about the core voltage needed. If you want to use AIDA64 as your stress test you will find high temperatures are common. But if you pass those test you can be assured the CPU will operate under most conditions.

For just gaming I like to use Cinebench as a quick approximation, then move on to actual games for stability testing.

OKAMISC

Reputable
May 4, 2017

Yes its just for gaming. I read and saw aida64 was good but most people preferred prime95. I will use cinebench. And yes, my target speed was 4.8ghz.

OKAMISC

Reputable
May 4, 2017

**UPDATE**

I changed my voltage to 1.28 and I ran cinebench a few times and temps didnt get higher than 86. I also ran Aida64 until my computer encountered an error, and apparently my temps jumped as high 97 which caused it to shutdown. But i dont think my PC will ever reach that high. SHould I turn down my OC because it didnt pass Aida? Like I said, I ran about 10 tests on cinebench and my temps did not go over 84 and they averaged 76-80.

I appreciate your input as well, thank you

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds good to me. I used AIDA 64 to push my old i7-4770k 1.36 volts to get to 4.3Ghz as I recall. It ran 4.5Ghz, but as with you, nearly reached 100C. Never did find a decent 4.4Ghz stable point.

If you are running 4.8Ghz and are happy with the temperatures and stability in the programs you want to run, then mission accomplished.

1.28 is perfectly safe for everyday use. You could try an AVX specific benchmark and see if gets through that, if you really want to know if it is stable in a test other than AIDA64. Later versions of Prime95 will let you do that (Typically people use 26.6 since it doesn't do AVX testing)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS