i7 7700k safe temperature?

spree01

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Hello.

So I recently got my i7 7700k, and I was wondering about the temps.

On idle, I get around 30-35c, with some few dips/spikes up to 40c.

However when I play a game for like 2-3 hours, the temps sits around 60-70c but get random spikes up to as high as 85c!

The spikes are only there for a second or so, but why does it spike this much? It can go from 60c to 80c randomly...

It's not overclocked, running at 4.2ghz and 1.2 something voltage.

My cpu cooler: Pure rock be silent

All I want to know if these spikes to mid 80's are dangerious, or if it won't harm my CPU since it's only that high for a second or so.

spree01

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016

Well it's quite simply why I'm getting these temps, I set a manual speed for all my fans in my BIOS and they only run at 50% instead of 70-80 as it was set to, to keep it as silent as possible. A louder PC would mean cooler CPU. But I'm not gonna overclock, so all I wanted to know was if these temps are fine, thank you for your answer.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
spree01,

Here's the recommended operating range for Core temperature:

80°C Hot (100% Load)
75°C Warm
70°C Warm (Heavy Load)
60°C Norm
50°C Norm (Medium Load)
40°C Norm
30°C Cool (Idle)
25°C Cool

Momentary spikes to the mid 80's are of no consequence.

Intel’s specification for DTS sensor response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup.

6th and 7th Generation processors have "Speed Shift" technology, which is more responsive to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" used on 5th Generation and previous processors. Speed Shift has more clock and voltage levels, which create more temperature spikes than SpeedStep. Excessive spiking is often caused by unnecessary tray startup processes.

You might want to read this Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

spree01

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016

So, this endless debate should I have HT enabled, or disabled.

I only play games on my machine, and the reason why I'm even thinking of disabling this is because of how it affects my temps.

With HT:
idle - 40c (average)
Load - It has gone up as far as 85c

Without HT:
idle - 30-35c
Load - Never goes above 75c

-Thanks

CompuTronix

Intel Master
If you're happy with your rig's frame rate and overall performance with HT off, then that's your option. However, you might want to consider this from another angle; at the same clock speed, even with HT off, your 7700K with 8MB Cache is still slightly faster than the 7600K with 6MB Cache.

CT :sol:

spree01

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Update: I went into the BIOS, for some reason the voltage was set to 1.300, I changed this to 1.200 and during 100% load it does not go above 75c. You guys think I can go even lower with the voltage?

spree01

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016

Is there a downside to lowering the vcore?