I7-7700k temperatures are not stable.

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Hello,

I just bought a new PC a few days ago and i saw something that might be a problem. CPU temperatures are oscilating very weird. For example:
- On idle(just starring at desktop with no applications opened) the temps on CPU and all cores are arround 28-30 degrees Celsius, but from time-to-time either a core or multiple cores, either the CPU package temperatures jump to about 45-60C for a second and then fast drops to 28-30C. It's like Core#1 now is 28C after 1 second goes to 47C and then immediatly go back to arround 28C then after some time(it depends could be 5 seconds or could be 1 minute) it happens again on random core or CPU package.
- Another problem is while gaming. The CPU temps are going very fast from 47C to 71C then to 60C then to 55C and etc. ... never mentain within arround either 50sC or 60s or so. Also as soon as i close the game temperatures jumps instantly to arround 35C(i believe its too fast to drop from 70C or 60C to 34C in just a moment). Games that i tested: Battlefield 1, Assassin's Creed Unity and Red Orchestra 2.

My specs are:
CPU: 7700k
Motherboard: Asus z170 pro gaming with bios version 3202(the last one now).
Cooler: Riing Silent 12.
GPU: Strix GTX1060 OC 6gb
RAM: HyperX FURY Black 16GB, 2400MHz, 2x8GB

To mention that first the BIOS was updated to 2003 version so i tought it is because of it and i updated to the last version, the 3202. CPU temperature in bios with 2003 version was arround 32C and with 3202 is arround 42C. Also with 3202 version when i get into bios the PC act very strange, it's like something is forcing it to the max limmits, after 10 seconds looking in bios the screen start to flicker, its like PC is constantly reebooting(something like failsafe happens). I would like to downgrade to the 2003 version but it is not possbile. Another solution that i am thinking is to return the z170 pro gaming to shop and get another one, for sure a z270 this time. Also before update the PC would boot to desktop pretty fast, 5 seconds i think, but after the bios update it boots slower and i feel it, like something its dragging it down.

So my questions are:
1. What could cause my problems ?
2. Should a change motherboard ? If yes, what do you guys recommend ? (not very expensive, arround same price as z170 progaming)
3. Should I change CPU ?

To mention i did not overclocked my CPU. All settings in BIOS are on "Load optimized defaults".

This isn't a problem, there's nothing wrong with a CPU that stays at 70C or under during load. If it was hitting 85C+ it would be a different story. Your computer is probably just installing some update in the background or running an antivirus check. The temp moves around while gaming because CPU load varies depending on what you're doing in the game and how much it has to keep track of. If I were you I'd just relax and play, if it's not overheating and you don't have a virus then you're fine.

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017

Thanks for answer. But what worries me is that screen-flickering in BIOS. It's like constantly reeboting, something like "failsafe". Also how can be possible to warm and cool so fast, from 70C to 40C in 1 second ? I contacted ASUS and they told me to install a certain version of BIOS, 3016, i did installed it but the problem is still there. The idle temps spikes happens even if the computer is not installing any updates.

Grim_Gust

Prominent
May 9, 2017

I have the same thing happening with my 7700k, too, only the fluctuation of temps happens every second. One core jumps 20 degrees up, then down, then another core does the same and so on. Have you found a solution? Is your system still working fine?

AAGG02

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017

Sorry mate, i was away for a while. I have not find any solution on that. I just decided to return everything to the shop and get my money back.

7700K temps behave exactly as you describe, quickly jumping from 30-32C idle to 55-60C under load, and just as quickly reducing back down to 32C....

Fire up Battlefield 1 and enjoy!

Screen flickering, unless the mainboard is giving actual indications it is resetting, I'd more likely suspect a discrepant connection with your HDMI or DVI path...