i7 7700K too high temps under load (maybe idle too), but something seems to be off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imike777

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked several times on the forums, however my case seems to be different to all of them, so any ideas and help is appreciated.

In advance I'm only running (and only plan to run for now) the CPU on stock speed.

So I recently upgraded my build with i7 7700k (rest of the build at the bottom of my post), and there seems to be some kind of an issue with my temps. My cooler is a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo, and my temps seem to be all over the place. Firstly in BIOS, it showed as 70C (lolwut), but after booting into Windows10, it seemed 'all right' as at first my idle temps were about 35C-38C, which I think is okay based on the ambient temp (28C, neighbors heat up our flat as balls). Then after a couple uses, it idled at around 42C-45Cm which is, well... meh...

Under load, (mainly Mass Effect Andromeda), it quickly goes over 80C, sometimes almost reaching 90C, which is not okay at all. I though to myself, lets run some tests. In Prime95 Core0 goes up to a 100 almost instantly, the other cores hovering about 95C-96C. During Cinebench, it's about the same as in Andromeda. Well, time to hit the forums (which I did for a solid 5 days). Here's what I tried/found (either here on Tom's Hardware or some other forums):

-Some Z270 mobos set the voltages too high when set to automatic
What I tried: Modifying fixed voltages, offset voltages (truth be told I'm a noob when it comes to either), no joy same temps. (turned out voltages were 1,20V-1,24V under load, which I presume is okay)

-RAM speeds and voltages matter when it comes to temps
What I tried: setting RAMs to default (hence 2133 Mhz with lower voltages), same temps.

-BIOS Update
What I tried: Duh. I should have started with that. Anyways I did, and what it did is that now in BIOS it says 60C-65C instead of 70C, in Windows it's still the same temps.

-Must have put on the cooler wonky
What I tried: Remove it, clean both CPU and cooler with Alcohol, reapply thermal paste, same temps. I've repeated this process 2 more times, once with a bit less, once with a bit more thermal paste, same temps in all cases.

-Turning off Turbo Boost
What I tried: turned it off, but in Windows (realtemp) it still shows it boosts to 4,5Ghz. Nevertheless, same temps.

-Improper case airflow
What I tried: My case has proper airflow as I didn't change cases, it has 2 intake fans (front-bottom and bottom) and one Exhaust fan (top-back) and a hole on top.

Now what I noticed
I noticed that on both exhaust holes the air coming out is cold. Hmm... Took off the side panel, put load on the CPU, stopped the CPU fan, and touched the heatsink, and it was 'lukewarm' at best. (this happened after all 3 heatsink reapplications). So after all these, what I can think of are 2 things:
- The cooler is a piece of crap (however I saw other people having quite nice temps with it), or just has some mounting issues (however it seems to be not moving AT ALL when mounted), but then why the consistent temps tho
- Something is wrong with the CPU, namely the thermal compound under the lid, hence it's unable to tranfer the heat properly.

Please guys help me as I'm out of ideas, and I'm thinking about taking up heroin (or crack or whichever's the stronger)

MY RIG:
Mobo: ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty Gaming K4
CPU: Intel i7 7700K (Kaby Lake)
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ 16Gb (2 kit) @ 3200 Mhz
Hard Drives: Samsung 500Gb and Seagate 2Tb
SSD: No SSD :(
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
Case: Cooler Master Elite Knight 350

Thank you guys for all the help in advance,
A desperate enthusiast

P.s.: Can provide pics of course if need be

Solution
The first thing that strikes me as odd is a TX3 on a 7700. I would expect something more beefy like a Cryorig H7. Granted it can handle the 91W TDP of the 7700 k(it's designed for up to approximately 130W). Is the base of the heatsink perfectl flat. Sometimes they don't flatten the tubes right and one can be slightly askew resulting in some wonky temps..

Voltage is expected and okay.

As I think you have seen in other posts, the 7700K does run pretty warm but your temps are not warm. They're HOT. I recommend the Cryorig H7.

lymecore

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

You are not alone :(

Here is the official thread regarding this issue: https://communities.intel.com/message/472037?tstart=0#472037

There's been some hot talk over there the last few days. :/

imike777

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

Yeah I've read most of the stuff about this topic and delidding, etc. but still couldn't find anything that could help me, hence I came here :). The link you provided seems like some good reading material for the time being :)

As suggested above, I'll wait for the new cooler for now, and hope for the best.

lymecore

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

Alright, I hope you'll see improvements. :) One more thing I'd like to add though is that I'm still somewhat hopeful that the culprit is as the title of that thread suggests, that it's some sort of a thermal sensor issue. I mean, it's one thing that the temps are high under different conditions but for it to drop 40 degrees in a second after a stress test just doesn't seem right.

imike777

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hey folks

So Cryorig H7 arrived earlier, namely today, hence I've installed it with the included thermal paste. And lo and behold, my temps seems to be all right now. During this reply, I'm running ME: Andromeda in the background in fullscreen mode, and the temps seems to be quite all right, meaning during idle it's 35 average, and now under load (I consider Andromeda somewhat CPU heavier than other games) it's mainly under 70 with the occasional spikes to 75 for a second or so, but still under 80, which I'd say I'll accept with a smaller form factor cooler like the H7. In Cinebench it's under 90 which is still a bit high, and in the newest version of Prime95, which is said to be sh*t as it's stressing the cpu to inhumane levels, Cryorig still manages to keep it below TJ, averaging about 95C (althought I only ran it for about 10 seconds).

So with this in mind I'd say I'm satisfied as for what I need it with stock speeds for, it's delivering, so for the time being until I gather enough money to buy the new case+beefy cooler combo, I'm all right :). So kudos to aquielisunari to whom I have to give the "Best answer" for the advice of getting this cooler, but of course an upvote for everyone for all the help and ideas. :) (hope it counts somewhere)

This was really a thrill guys with all research I had to do and all the headaches it casued me, but I'm more than glad that it seems to be okay now. If anything happens, I'll surely post it here ;)

Thanks again guys, and have great days/weeks.