i7-7700k Voltages High? and Temps

Oct 5, 2018
Hi,
I've just overclocked my i7-7700k to 4.6GHz using MSI Game Boost. However, when I checked the voltages in command centre I thought that they looked too high for 4.6GHz which could be a reason why my CPU is at around 80-85c at ADIA 64 stress test and can average around 40-50c when idle. Do these voltages and temps look fine? I know that the 7700k is a hot chip. I have the MSI Z270 MPOWER TITANIUM motherboard.

https://imgur.com/a/OrqLZFo

Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Quite low on the voltage. 4.6Ghz is only 100Mhz over the stock boost frequency. The CPU is safe for everyday use up to around 1.3 volts. More if you have de-lidded or have decent water cooling.

80-85C under AIDA is certainly a pass. Basically nothing out there that will cause that much load in reality.

1.25v if I read your link correctly is good.
You can monitor vcore with cpu-Z.
Do not let it go past 1.4v.
How well you can OC is determined by your luck in getting a good chip.
Here are some stats:
As of 6/9/17
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-7700K
4.9 83%
5.0 62%
5.1 29%
5.2 6%

Temperatures are driven by vcore.
Your stress test, or any other stress test at 80-85c is about right.
What I think might be bothersome is your 40-50c. at idle.
A decent cooler should run 10-15c. over ambient.

What is your cooler?
Does your case supply sufficient fresh intake air for the cooler to do it's job?
Is there a hot graphics card installed?

I suspect you can do better using direct bios settings.

nialbu91

Prominent
May 3, 2018
You should consider delidding it. When I got my 7700k, the highest OC I could get was 4.8ghz 1.28v with temps in the 90's. After I delidded it, my max overclock is 5.1ghz 1.385v with a max temp in the high 80's. Right now I daily 5ghz at 1.345v with temps in the high 70's to 80's.

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/8247/BG1qSn.jpg

I know delidding seems scary and it'll void your warranty but, in my opinion, its worth it. I recommend Der8auer's Delid Die Mate 2. If you don't know who Der8auer is, I suggest you look him up. The delid kit is VERY easy to use. I also recommend using Thermal Grizzle Conductonaut liquid metal

After dialing in my cpu overclock, I got adventurous and overclocked my ram from 3000mhz to 3200mhz; this is a story for another time.

An overclock can be limited either by the temperature or by the amount of voltage you are willing to apply.
In the case of nialbu91 above 1.28v @ 4.8 clearly had more room from the voltage limitation point of view.
Perhaps this particular chip did not have a really good heat sink application.
Delidding was a reasonable choice if the extra 0.2 was important to do it.
I think though, that the difference between 4.8 and 5.0 will not show up as significant in games or apps.

I think, however, if you are going to delid, that a professional delidding service is a better option.
The down side is that you will be without a cpu for a bit.
$40 from silicon lottery.