i7-7700k vs ryzen 1700 whatone should i choose?

Alberto376

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Hello as the tittle said im wondering what to buy since im gonna upgrade my pc and i need to change the motherboard anyways so in this situation i have no idea about what cpu fits me better.

Im gonna use them mostly for gaming and streaming and since they are similar in price i rather ask you guys your opinion.

What processor should i get between those two?

Solution
The Ryzen will probably be more future proof.
I say 'probably' because it all depends on the developers.
However with the rivalry from ryzen, intel has already announced that they will add 2 more cores to the gen8 (coffee lake) i7, so more cores seems the way to go.

Your motherboard will also be cheaper with ryzen (or come with better features for the same price).
However with ryzen you also want to have high clocked memory, because a 1700 paired with 3200Mhz memory beats a 1800X paired with 2133Mhz memory in games.
Ryzen really likes higher clocked ram in games, more than higher cpu clock.
Since ram has gone up in price and high speed ram isn't cheap, that does eat into the price/perfmormance ratio that ryzen offers.
I mean both will deliver similar results. The Ryzen is a bit cheaper since it doesn't have an onboard chip (and it's competing with Intel), so the choice comes down to price, motherboards, and scability. Since you are trying to reach a top tier, there's not much more room to go. I will say go with Ryzen as it offers the same (and a bit more) for the same price. But remember, it's in it's infancy stage. Myself, I think with Intel because I know it, and know it can deliver for what I need.

Again, they are both similar, so it will come down to price, and how much you are willing to spend.

I still have to say taht the i7 can still handle it. I mean I've seen videos where the 1800x is supposely able to handle streaming better, but to get that nice quality, the i7 is able to handle it just fine. At least for my 6700k.

Sep 10, 2013
The Ryzen will probably be more future proof.
I say 'probably' because it all depends on the developers.
However with the rivalry from ryzen, intel has already announced that they will add 2 more cores to the gen8 (coffee lake) i7, so more cores seems the way to go.

Your motherboard will also be cheaper with ryzen (or come with better features for the same price).
However with ryzen you also want to have high clocked memory, because a 1700 paired with 3200Mhz memory beats a 1800X paired with 2133Mhz memory in games.
Ryzen really likes higher clocked ram in games, more than higher cpu clock.
Since ram has gone up in price and high speed ram isn't cheap, that does eat into the price/perfmormance ratio that ryzen offers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS