Question i7 870 base clock vs turbo clock?

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Am i going to see any benefit from boosting the cpu to 3.6ghz, it was on base clock always since i had a bad cooler but im thinking about getting a new one so it can run on turbo, is it worth it? Am i going to see any benefit in games?

KyaraM

Admirable
Just to make sure, you mean i7-8700, not 870, yes?

To answer your question, yes, you likely will. That's why people OC their CPUs after all, for better performance. Higher clock means more IPCmeans more FPS. I doubt it will be anything crazy like going from 50 FPS to 100 or something, but it should make a difference especially since modern CPUs boost pretty much all the time. How much difference depends on the rest of your system and the games you play, of course. But it will be a difference.

KyaraM

Admirable
Just a little nitpick: IPC = instructions per cycle. IPC is set in stone for given CPU, nothing can change it. Increasing clock means increasing number of cycles per second, so the instructions per second is also higher.
Sorry, my brain farted there. I was indeed thinking of more cycles due to the higher clock speed, not that IPC itself changes. Just the number of cycles.

Reactions: DRagor

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Just to make sure, you mean i7-8700, not 870, yes?

To answer your question, yes, you likely will. That's why people OC their CPUs after all, for better performance. Higher clock means more IPCmeans more FPS. I doubt it will be anything crazy like going from 50 FPS to 100 or something, but it should make a difference especially since modern CPUs boost pretty much all the time. How much difference depends on the rest of your system and the games you play, of course. But it will be a difference.
No, i mean i7 870

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Well, that, too, would get a boost naturally. But it's quite outdated and I cannot imagine it still holding its own in anything somewhat recent...
Acutally it is like i own gtx 560 and i7 870 on base clock and games like valorant/ csgo/ minecraft/ lol/ even gta 5 is completely playable on 1080p on online.
I'm wondering about should i get a new cooler and Sapphire Radeon RX 550 2GB DDR5 PULSE 11268-21-20G so im HOPING that could bring me stable fps in csgo for 144hz monitor in the future.

KyaraM

Admirable
Acutally it is like i own gtx 560 and i7 870 on base clock and games like valorant/ csgo/ minecraft/ lol/ even gta 5 is completely playable on 1080p on online.
I'm wondering about should i get a new cooler and Sapphire Radeon RX 550 2GB DDR5 PULSE 11268-21-20G so im HOPING that could bring me stable fps in csgo for 144hz monitor in the future.
You definitely should get a new cooler if you have to hamstring your CPU to keep it running, yes. The good news are, any low-end cooler should work with that chip nowadays. I mean, my 7600k is cooled by a 30 bucks cooler running at half rpm at maximum. Not sure about the GPU, the one you linked seems to be better than your current card, but I can't tell you if its worth upgrading it with that CPU.

However, with that hardware, maybe a new cooler and a Ryzen 5 5700G without a dedicated GPU would already be an upgrade, honestly. It's about the same as your current GPU, but you would kill two birds with one stone and could upgrade later on for a pretty massive boost. It would, at the very least, remove any CPU limits for now and, as I said, you can get a good GPU later on. I honestly don't know if your CPU is limiting your GPU in any way. To me, that's a better investment than upgrading one outdated card with another... but that is for you to decide, and only an option if you do want to splunge money on a GPU at all. The cooler comes first.

Well considering boost clock is 20% higher then base clock I would say that's quite reasonable.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
You definitely should get a new cooler if you have to hamstring your CPU to keep it running, yes. The good news are, any low-end cooler should work with that chip nowadays. I mean, my 7600k is cooled by a 30 bucks cooler running at half rpm at maximum. Not sure about the GPU, the one you linked seems to be better than your current card, but I can't tell you if its worth upgrading it with that CPU.

However, with that hardware, maybe a new cooler and a Ryzen 5 5700G without a dedicated GPU would already be an upgrade, honestly. It's about the same as your current GPU, but you would kill two birds with one stone and could upgrade later on for a pretty massive boost. It would, at the very least, remove any CPU limits for now and, as I said, you can get a good GPU later on. I honestly don't know if your CPU is limiting your GPU in any way. To me, that's a better investment than upgrading one outdated card with another... but that is for you to decide, and only an option if you do want to splunge money on a GPU at all. The cooler comes first.
Well r7 5700g + mbo + ram is already more than 400e - 450e with cheapest reasonable ram and bad motherboard which isnt an option right now

FPS stability and such is determined more by the CPU than the GPU. Especially if there's more things happening on screen.

You did mention the cooler situation. Start with that first. Even a $50 USD tower cooler should keep the CPU happy on turbo all day.

Reactions: KyaraM

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
FPS stability and such is determined more by the CPU than the GPU. Especially if there's more things happening on screen.

You did mention the cooler situation. Start with that first. Even a $50 USD tower cooler should keep the CPU happy on turbo all day.
Okay so i found these three which i think will do the job and im just not sure which one to go for this is the first one and this is the second one aand the third one. All support my socket almost all amd sockets if i upgrade to amd which i probbably will soon. First one had 3pin connector and its small, and ill get it if it will do the job, and now for these two thing is 3rd one is $4 cheaper and it has higher tdp of 130? I have no idea why even though its smaller and why is the second one more expensive and it even has lower tdp? So which one do you think is the best to get since i can get only one from that site since its close to me and i can get it tomorrow.

Okay so i found these three which i think will do the job and im just not sure which one to go for this is the first one and this is the second one aand the third one. All support my socket almost all amd sockets if i upgrade to amd which i probbably will soon. First one had 3pin connector and its small, and ill get it if it will do the job, and now for these two thing is 3rd one is $4 cheaper and it has higher tdp of 130? I have no idea why even though its smaller and why is the second one more expensive and it even has lower tdp? So which one do you think is the best to get since i can get only one from that site since its close to me and i can get it tomorrow.
The second one is larger and has fins on the cold plate. I'd argue that one is better than the third one. But the first one should be fine, although fan tuning will be limited.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
The second one is larger and has fins on the cold plate. I'd argue that one is better than the third one. But the first one should be fine, although fan tuning will be limited.
And after that i was thinking about getting this gpu https://www.afox-corp.com/show-51-133-1.html Only thing that is bothering me is why cant i find anything about these brands of the cards for example i can find tests with rx 550 64/128 bit one and 2gb/4gb but there are no specific test? Thats what im worried about and i think that that gpu is a great deal for 133e new with 2 years warranty

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
I'm recommending the first two. If you want to save money, go with the first one.
I have just done some research and the first cooler doesnt have the best reviews, and tdp of BASECLOCK on my cpu is 95tdp if thats how it works? So just to make sure First cooler is actually going to leave me with normal temps with turbo boost enabled, and i also havent mentioned that i have no case fans and in summer ambient temps sometimes go above 30C. So if you could just confirm that this is the right one

KyaraM

Admirable
Okay, no case fans is actually a pretty important piece of information here. You seriously need to fix that and get at least two, one intake, one outtake. Air iside your case is pretty much stagnating, and warm air from your CPU is piling up, driving temps higher over time. You really have to get rid of all that hot air in there and simultaneously get fresh air in. Believe me, good airflow works wonders for CPU temperatures...

EDIT: I think I misread the bit about TDP. No, TDP is the maximum wattage the CPU can draw, no matter if boost or not. It's not just for base clock. Nowadays many vendors of MBs just let the chip draw what it wants, but in that generation it was not so afaik and it should be locked to 95W if you didn't change it yourself in the BIOS. Either way, my old i5-7600K is a 95W TDP CPU and cooled by a 25€ Be Quiet cooler that is never running at more that 50% max RPM, and the chip never gets past 65°C, ever. Your chip is a lot weaker and should be fine on most, if not any, modern cooler that is compatible to the socket.

Last edited:
I have just done some research and the first cooler doesnt have the best reviews, and tdp of BASECLOCK on my cpu is 95tdp if thats how it works? So just to make sure First cooler is actually going to leave me with normal temps with turbo boost enabled, and i also havent mentioned that i have no case fans and in summer ambient temps sometimes go above 30C. So if you could just confirm that this is the right one

144fps is very duable, im running over 240fps with 240hz monitor in csgo with x3470 which same chip than i7-870 but better binning. Can you run https://www.userbenchmark.com/userbenchmark to see some baselines (close browsers and games etc when running it, gives you a link with specs after its done)

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Okay, no case fans is actually a pretty important piece of information here. You seriously need to fix that and get at least two, one intake, one outtake. Air iside your case is pretty much stagnating, and warm air from your CPU is piling up, driving temps higher over time. You really have to get rid of all that hot air in there and simultaneously get fresh air in. Believe me, good airflow works wonders for CPU temperatures...

EDIT: I think I misread the bit about TDP. No, TDP is the maximum wattage the CPU can draw, no matter if boost or not. It's not just for base clock. Nowadays many vendors of MBs just let the chip draw what it wants, but in that generation it was not so afaik and it should be locked to 95W if you didn't change it yourself in the BIOS. Either way, my old i5-7600K is a 95W TDP CPU and cooled by a 25€ Be Quiet cooler that is never running at more that 50% max RPM, and the chip never gets past 65°C, ever. Your chip is a lot weaker and should be fine on most, if not any, modern cooler that is compatible to the socket.
Got it, i actually found the model of my case and i have removed the side panel and first plastic cutout where you are supposed to put optical drives is open because i removed the drive when i got the pc since i didnt need it + i see that i can put 80 or 90mm fan in the back and thats it, can you recommend me a cheap case with atleast one outtake fan? There is a ton of stuff but when ur on a budget everything matters so i can get best value.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51352735 Its better now, as for cpu usage i had a program running in the background, this is a clean test with everything closed

You can try updating firmware with Patriot sata toolbox if there is update, those writes and read are really bad, i remember there was problems with these patriot SSD:s maybe controller failing or something like that. Never had any problems with Samsung evo/pro ssd:s these are solid. If you keep using the patriot then just make sure to backup everything often if it suddenly dies.

Everything else looks fine, gpu is obviously the weakest link but that you already know. With games you listed (val,fort,gta5) are more cpu/ram bound anyway, you can get away with worse graphics card by just turning graphic quality down a notch, gtx 560 is still very weak, comparable to integrated graphics. Cant really make any suggestions before you tell what power supply you have.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
You can try updating firmware with Patriot sata toolbox if there is update, those writes and read are really bad, i remember there was problems with these patriot SSD:s maybe controller failing or something like that. Never had any problems with Samsung evo/pro ssd:s these are solid. If you keep using the patriot then just make sure to backup everything often if it suddenly dies.

Everything else looks fine, gpu is obviously the weakest link but that you already know. With games you listed (val,fort,gta5) are more cpu/ram bound anyway, you can get away with worse graphics card by just turning graphic quality down a notch, gtx 560 is still very weak, comparable to integrated graphics. Cant really make any suggestions before you tell what power supply you have.
Im using lc power 6650 v2.2 i bought it used from a local repair shop for $30 never had any issues with it and i dont know how old it is nor how long the person before me used it.