Mar 22, 2016
So i own an
i7 8700
Kraken X62
Asus H370F Motherboard
Gigabyte 1060 Windforce OC 6gb
16gb of HyperX DDR4
EVGA Supernova 850 g3

Recently ive been noticing really high cpu voltages and temps. My default core voltage in bios says 1.042 but right after i boot up my pc and check cam ive already hit over 1.4 volts and my max cpu temp shows over 50c. Shouldnt a locked processor have lower voltages and temperatures? Im super frustrated because my cpu is hitting over 50c just seconds after booting up. XTU stress test also maxed out my cpu temperature at 70c which is really high for a kraken x62 cooler. Some people cant hit 60c even after overclocking. Ive mounted my kraken multiple times to make sure the thermal paste is spreading evenly so its not the cooler. My guess would have to be the motherboard is the culprit, ive heard asus motherboards come with overclocked settings out of box but how would it work with a locked processor? Also ive tried clearing my bios by taking out the battery and using a screwdriver to clear the cmos but it didn't work. I cant seem to find instructions on how to clear bios on newer motherboards. Bios was updated recently to latest version.

Solution
I wouldn't bother changing anything if it's stable and the temperatures are within specifications. The 8700 I know runs very hot partially due to it having thermal paste instead of solder between the integrated heat spreader and the CPU die. Its 65W TDP is more of a farce than anything else. Small form factor PCs from OEMs like HP sound like hair dryers as soon as you have more than a handful of Chrome tabs open.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I wouldn't bother changing anything if it's stable and the temperatures are within specifications. The 8700 I know runs very hot partially due to it having thermal paste instead of solder between the integrated heat spreader and the CPU die. Its 65W TDP is more of a farce than anything else. Small form factor PCs from OEMs like HP sound like hair dryers as soon as you have more than a handful of Chrome tabs open.

Solution