Question i7-8700 non-k temps with tower cooler.

Nov 6, 2018
Good day,
I recently swapped my i5-8600 for an i7-8700 and I am getting a bit high temps around 80-90+C during gaming especially on cpu intensive ones. Is this normal for the CPU? it goes 90 then throttles down. I am using a 5 heat pipe 120mm CPU Cooler tower, Thermalright Assassin king 120 its a bit thick. Would a push-pull configuration help it maintain lower temps? Currently its on push config.
My case is has a 200mm intake at the front and a 120mm exhaust at the rear only. Thank you.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would make assumptions that your paste application was replaced and is proper. As long as the system isn't surpassing 90 and still is performing as expected, I don't think that outside design parameters...if loud.
I notice the cooler has height, but isn't very thick. I think a Scythe Mugen 5 would be a good budget option (if they are still actually inexpensive). The Hyper 212 may have more surface area as well.

Nov 6, 2018
I would make assumptions that your paste application was replaced and is proper. As long as the system isn't surpassing 90 and still is performing as expected, I don't think that outside design parameters...if loud.
I notice the cooler has height, but isn't very thick. I think a Scythe Mugen 5 would be a good budget option (if they are still actually inexpensive). The Hyper 212 may have more surface area as well.
The current paste I am using is on the cheaper side a Cooler Master V1, i will try a premium one, and gonna replace the Thermalright fan with a Static pressure one I have not been using because of noise and put it on 100%, Replace the exaust with a high CFM one. I cant put fans above the case cause the CPU tower cooler dont have enough space above for fans. Using an MATX Cube type of case (Tecware Quad TG).

I also have an old Gammaxx 400 though similar to a Hyper 212.

the CPU Spikes to 90+ during lunch and afternoon when the sun is up. But goes down when the Thermalright fans kick in at 100%.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Thermalrite is roughly the same as the hyper212, if not a bit better.

It's an 8700. It can hit @ 130w flat out, which while still under the @ 150w of the Assassin/Hyper212, it's getting very close to saturation. Temp scales aren't linear, they are logarithmic. You'll generally see @ 1w per 1/3° climb, roughly, then at @ 70ish% they'll make a sharp curve upwards, where 1w =1° then 2° then upto 5°C (ish).

Takes quite a bit of wattage to get a cpu to @ 65° but the climb from @ 80° to 100° only takes a few watts.

That's why it's generally recommended to use a cooler at least 1.5x the power consumption of the cpu.

Nov 6, 2018
The Thermalrite is roughly the same as the hyper212, if not a bit better.

It's an 8700. It can hit @ 130w flat out, which while still under the @ 150w of the Assassin/Hyper212, it's getting very close to saturation. Temp scales aren't linear, they are logarithmic. You'll generally see @ 1w per 1/3° climb, roughly, then at @ 70ish% they'll make a sharp curve upwards, where 1w =1° then 2° then upto 5°C (ish).

Takes quite a bit of wattage to get a cpu to @ 65° but the climb from @ 80° to 100° only takes a few watts.

That's why it's generally recommended to use a cooler at least 1.5x the power consumption of the cpu.
i like to use air coolers, but do you think a dual tower air cooler or is it AIO's then?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You assume a sepetation. A dual tower or aio isn't any different because of what it is. There's many single towers that are better than some dual and a couple sizes of aios.

What matters is the ability and efficiency of the cooler itself. A car isn't faster just because it's Red. An excellent budget cooler is the Arctic esports Duo, single tower with @ 200w capability. Also the Scythe Mugen 5, Noctua U12A are single towers.

It's only when reaching into Big Air like the Noctua NH-D15/S that what you get is basically a Noctua NH-U12S x2 and are hitting in the 250-300w capability range.

A small dual tower like the Deepcool AK620 would also be a budget choice, hitting about the same ranges as the better single towers above.

Any cooler in the 180ish + range will be more than sufficient, and run really quiet as a result, with those coolers having silence oriented fans, like Arctic and Noctua and BeQuiet being more quiet when pushed.