[SOLVED] I7-8700(Non-K) with Gskill 3000Mhz ram going XMP but speed stays at 2666Mhz.

Aug 29, 2020
Hi guys! I'm using Strix B360-M motherboard and I7-8700 with Gskill 3000Mhz 2x8 while on XMP the ram speed is stuck at 2666Mhz. Is there any possible solution that I can push my ram speed at 3000Mhz?

Solution
No, you won't be able to push your RAM to 3000MHz.

The B-Series chipset on your motherboard doesn’t support RAM overclocking / RAM speeds above what the CPU’s integrated memory controller (IMC) natively supports, which in the case of your current CPU is 2666MHz.

Only Intel’s Z-Series motherbords support RAM overclocking / RAM frequencies above the natively supported frequency of the IMC

So you will not be able to run your RAM at it’s rated 3000MHz frequency with your current motherboard.

Intel CPUs don’t benefit as much from fast RAM as AMD Ryzen CPUs do, so it is not a big performance loss running your RAM at 2666MHz instead of 3000MHz

EDIT : If you check the memory QVL for your motherboard on ASUS' product support page, I'm...

The B-Series chipset on your motherboard doesn’t support RAM overclocking / RAM speeds above what the CPU’s integrated memory controller (IMC) natively supports, which in the case of your current CPU is 2666MHz.

Only Intel’s Z-Series motherbords support RAM overclocking / RAM frequencies above the natively supported frequency of the IMC

So you will not be able to run your RAM at it’s rated 3000MHz frequency with your current motherboard.

Intel CPUs don’t benefit as much from fast RAM as AMD Ryzen CPUs do, so it is not a big performance loss running your RAM at 2666MHz instead of 3000MHz

EDIT : If you check the memory QVL for your motherboard on ASUS' product support page, I'm sure you'll see no RAM modules listed, with a frequency above 2666MHz

Last edited:
Reactions: jvein
Solution
Aug 29, 2020

EDIT : If you check the memory QVL for your motherboard on ASUS' product support page, I'm sure you'll see no RAM modules listed, with a frequency above 2666MHz
Thank you for the clarification sir. God speed!