i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz stock voltage?

May 10, 2018
New to overclocking and PCs in general. If I get an AIO or high-end air cooler, is 4.8GHz at stock voltage achievable?

Solution
Really a limited answer because you didn't tell us what Mother board , , also some boards are harder to oc and others are just a simple few steps. For example I have an Intel I7 8700K cpu too, it's an , My mother board is an ASUS Maximus Hero X and is very easy to overclock on these boards. It's on the higher end higher priced boards with a very very good VRM.

That being said a good AIO cooler is great, should be able to get higher than 4.8ghz, possibly 5.0 with the right setup and air flow in your case, you may need to tweak voltages and also the CPU was delided (I delided my i7 8700k too) Be sure to perform bench tests to make sure it's stable. See video below, your mileage may vary though but should give you...

urbancamper

Distinguished
Possibly, it really depends on the cpu. Some overclock better then others. I'm sure some people have been able to get to 4.8ghz just by moving the multiplier. Most people however would have to make some kind of voltage adjustment, along with an LLC adjustment. Really the best thing to do would go on YouTube and look at some of the many tutorials. Just type in 8700k overclocking.

Getting a high end AIO puts you in the right direction. Though there are also some fairly beefy aair heatsinks that can get you to 4.8ghz too. Such as the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4.

SamJones

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Really a limited answer because you didn't tell us what Mother board , , also some boards are harder to oc and others are just a simple few steps. For example I have an Intel I7 8700K cpu too, it's an , My mother board is an ASUS Maximus Hero X and is very easy to overclock on these boards. It's on the higher end higher priced boards with a very very good VRM.

That being said a good AIO cooler is great, should be able to get higher than 4.8ghz, possibly 5.0 with the right setup and air flow in your case, you may need to tweak voltages and also the CPU was delided (I delided my i7 8700k too) Be sure to perform bench tests to make sure it's stable. See video below, your mileage may vary though but should give you a good idea on what is involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU&feature=youtu.be

Solution