i7 8700k and xmp possible issue

clyde777

Proper
Oct 8, 2018
I have an i7 8700k and 3200 ddr4 ram and i have XMP on and the cpu asus MCE on running at 4.5. When I do cinebench and realbench it runs fine and passes but when I move my mouse the whole pc freezes for a few seconds. Is that normal?

clyde777

Proper
Oct 8, 2018
So I turned off mce and didn’t mess with anything else and left it at stock and also disabled xmp and it still does it freezes then works again. It passes the test. If it freezing doesn’t indicate a problem then I don’t mind.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
When it freezes is it just a few seconds then returns to normal? Usually you want to avoid any input when running benchmarks as they are using the hardware to it's maximum. The freeze might indicate a stability problem though. Any chance you can provide a BIOS screenshot? What motherboard do you have? On my Asus I press F12 for a screenshot. You need to have USB stick plugged in to store the screenshot.

clyde777

Proper
Oct 8, 2018
It only freezes for a few seconds most the time when I move my mouse but sometimes it freezes when I don’t touch the mouse but then it goes back to normal and passes the stress test. I haven’t had problems in games. The motherboard is an Asus prime z370-a. I will get a usb stick in the morning and screen shot the bios.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I will take some shots of my BIOS and post them soon. Try setting things up similar. Do you still have the freezes when the BIOS is set to complete default settings? Usually that is F5. What PSU do you have? What are the CPU load temps when running Cinebench and Realbench?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Did you say the freezes aren't as bad when the BIOS is at default settings? What mouse do you have? It could be a polling issue. Could you also open Task Manager to see whether any program/s is using a high amount of CPU usage %?