I7 8700k Compatibility

afd1314

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
I want to buy an i7 8700k but I'm not sure if it is compatible with my motherboard. I don't know a whole lot about compatibility so this may seem stupid. Is an i7 8700k compatible with an msi z170a gaming m7 mobo?

Solution

8700K is 1151 socket 8th gen CPU and requires Z370 motherboard at this moment. Your Z170 support only 6th and 7th gen CPU

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015

8700K is 1151 socket 8th gen CPU and requires Z370 motherboard at this moment. Your Z170 support only 6th and 7th gen CPU

Solution

Intel make the chipsets so they make money if they force constant motherboard changes. I think it was somebody from ASUS who said it was theoretically possible to get Coffee Lake to work on at least the Z270 boards but Intel won't allow it and won't do the necessary Management Engine updates.

Rather than intel greed for money i think it was more about motherboard maker that probably asking intel to do it. For asus it might not be to much of an issue for them when you consider they have the most market share when it comes to motherboard but other motherboard maker it is really hard for them if user keep using the same motherboard for two or three generations of CPU. If i remember correcrtly ECS said they would exit consumer market entirely and focus solely on enterprise solution if their sales for consumer motherboard keep falling. And in the past there are somekind of movement among PC maker to pressure intel on how to improve the decline on PC market by asking intel to ditch their mobile effort that did not bear much fruit to intel at the time. Changing the socket on more regular basis is probably one of the solution intel give to motherboard maker.