Question i7 8700k core #1 and #4 over 80 when idle

Apr 7, 2019
PC Specs

Gigabyte GTX 1080
i7 8700k
ASRock Z370 Pro4-IB
Generic 16 gb Ram
and generic PSU

So up until the day of this post (4/7/19) I've had no issues whatsoever with my PC. However when I attempted to load videos I noticed significant stutters when chrome tried to load. I checked my task manager and nothing looked abnormal, usage was only about 12%, GPU usage was around 6%, I was only using 5gb of ram. Everything seemed normal, however if I tried to play any games I could not get any kind of consistent frame rate, on Apex Legends it would go from 1fps to 144fps. I decided to do some trouble shooting and after taking a look at my CPU temperatures I noticed that the overall CPU temperature was around 99 Celsius and core #1 stayed consistently around 82 Celsius and core #4 stayed around 91 Celsius. The rest, with the exception of core #3 which hovered around 44 Celsius, stayed below 30 Celsius while IDLE! I have no idea what could be causing this to happen with my CPU, I have a watercooler (its closed loop, but IDK what brand as I have a prebuilt) and prior to today I've had no issues. If someone could give me some insight as to what may be the problem it would be very much appreciated.

the prebuilt model is Ibuypower's TRACE 941

I plan on calling IBuypower to try and get some support help from them but still any knowledge would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Okay I asked that question to make sure you are comfortable working inside your PC. First turn off the system, and unplug all peripheral devices from it. Next you will want to place in on a stable location, preferably a desk or table that is sturdy. If you don't have that option, make sure to place it on a static free location (i.e. hardwood floor). Next open your case, and check the radiator and your other components for dust and debris. If a fan isn't spinning properly or the radiator is clogged with dust, it can cause issues with your thermals. I had a friend who had a malfunctioning PSU due to dust build up - I got it working with an air compressor. If all of these things look good, you may want to try re-seating the cpu cooler and applying new thermal paste. If this doesn't help, your pump may have failed, which is common among closed water coolers. I usually lock my pumps in my AIO coolers to 75%, to lengthen the lifespan.

Apr 7, 2019
one could certainly easily check to make sure the pump or cooler is securely mounted to the CPU's heat spreader with no risk....
So I called ibuypower and unfortunately as of 3/26/19, just about 2 weeks ago, my warranty with them was expired. They came to the conclusion that if it isn't the thermal paste or cooling unit, it's the CPU, which I already suspected. I plan on taking it off and checking the thermal paste and cooling unit, and if worst comes to worst I'll buy another CPU.

Apr 7, 2019
Although, if you mess up the delid, goodbye I7, but if the cpu is already going to need replaced, it wont hurt to try.
I'll be trying the repaste this weekend, I'll also be buying a new cooling unit just to get that cheap ibuypower unit out of there. Usage is completely normal on all cores. It's just constantly cores #1 and #4 that are going well over 80 Celsius. IF none of that works, I'll just pick up another i7.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Its almost certainly either an issue with the AIO or mounting bracket, whether it be failing pump or loose contact to CPU or I guess maybe poor thermal paste application from ibuypower finally became unable to transfer heat very well somehow.

Feel both lines of the AIO with it running to feel for steady fluid flowing and you should be able to hear the pump.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019
Its almost certainly either an issue with the AIO or mounting bracket, whether it be failing pump or loose contact to CPU or I guess maybe poor thermal paste application from ibuypower finally became unable to transfer heat very well somehow.

Feel both lines of the AIO with it running to feel for steady fluid flowing and you should be able to hear the pump.
I hope that the issue is with the mounting or AIO. I've checked and it seems like everything is running normally. It feels like fluid is able to flow through it fine and the pump is working.

Apr 7, 2019
PC Specs

Gigabyte GTX 1080
i7 8700k
ASRock Z370 Pro4-IB
Generic 16 gb Ram
and generic PSU

So up until the day of this post (4/7/19) I've had no issues whatsoever with my PC. However when I attempted to load videos I noticed significant stutters when chrome tried to load. I checked my task manager and nothing looked abnormal, usage was only about 12%, GPU usage was around 6%, I was only using 5gb of ram. Everything seemed normal, however if I tried to play any games I could not get any kind of consistent frame rate, on Apex Legends it would go from 1fps to 144fps. I decided to do some trouble shooting and after taking a look at my CPU temperatures I noticed that the overall CPU temperature was around 99 Celsius and core #1 stayed consistently around 82 Celsius and core #4 stayed around 91 Celsius. The rest, with the exception of core #3 which hovered around 44 Celsius, stayed below 30 Celsius while IDLE! I have no idea what could be causing this to happen with my CPU, I have a watercooler (its closed loop, but IDK what brand as I have a prebuilt) and prior to today I've had no issues. If someone could give me some insight as to what may be the problem it would be very much appreciated.

the prebuilt model is Ibuypower's TRACE 941

I plan on calling IBuypower to try and get some support help from them but still any knowledge would be very much appreciated!
Well guys I figured out the issue. My precious cooling unit failed, I ended up replacing it with a 240mm closed loop pump. Overall cpu temp is now around 35-40 Celsius while idle and 60 under load, although core #4 still goes up to around 80 Celsius sometimes. For now all issues are solved.