i7 8700k Idle temps 40-44 / water cooled

Dec 4, 2018
Hi

I purchased a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L All in one watercooling Dual fan system from PBtech to cool an i7 7800k. In BIOS temps would idle around 42-43C so I got it replaced under warranty as forums are saying 25-30C should be what idle is.
The replacement does exactly the same.

Running the fans on full from the BIOS don't change the temp, running then on silent and the temp goes from 42 to 43-44.5

Any thoughts are welcome, temps over 40C idle bug me seeing at my i5 6600 sits at 25-28 on air. (Motherboard is ASRock Z370M)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
jacob280,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

What is your ambient (room) temperature?

CPU temperature in BIOS is higher than in Windows at idle, because BIOS boots the processor without power saving features and at higher Core voltages to ensure that it will initialize under any conditions. However, when in Windows at idle ... is "idle" really idle? Idle means only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager.

No programs running, and offline. No unnecessary startups, processes, services or tray trash running in the background, and all power saving features enabled in BIOS. Windows Power Options should be set on "Balanced" with Minimum Processor State set at it's default value of 5%.

The 8700K in my personal rig idles as described above, at just 3°C over ambient with low pump and fan speeds. The specs and cooling configuration are in my signature.

So ... is your idle really idle?

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Dec 4, 2018
Thank you so very much CompuTronix for the warm welcome, you where very true in what you said. After installing windows I have found the temp of the CPU to drop to around the 30's this is not much more than the case temp from memory. I have also found a lot of people are experiencing the same temp's. A benchmark resulted in a temp of just under 70C and a stress test found temps of 65. I feel this is fine but if yourself or anyone has any other thoughts on this please feel free to shear.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
More often then not, you'll find that those who are posting their Core temperatures fail to post their ambient temperature. Without that bit of vital information, it's not possible to compare apples to apples.

You'll also find that the words "load" or "full load" are flung around like gorilla poo in a cage. Without defining what software was used for "load", it's again not possible to compare apples to apples.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Idle temperatures below 25°C are generally due to Ambient temperatures below 22°C.

"Benchmark" and "Stress" test workloads vary greatly. Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

All tests will show 100% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, which indicates processor resource activity, not % TDP workload. Core temperatures correspond directly to Power dissipation (Watts) which is workload.

If you'd like to learn how to properly test your rig to find your valid thermal baselines for 100% workload and dead idle, then you need to read:

Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol: