[SOLVED] i7 8700k non OC idle temps

Jan 20, 2019
Hello, I built my PC 6 months ago and since I built it I have been getting quite high CPU idle temps( 35 - 40 degrees when nothing is running). Not sure why, but I have a theory. My GPU is 1080 ti sc black edition and for some reason even if im not running anything ot the pc, it stays at max clock speed, thus heating up to a constant 54 degrees on idle. Being an open air style gpu, I suspect that it just heats up my system, and the cpu cooler, which is coolermaster 212x evo, just picks up the hot air from the gpu below. At first, my cpu cooler was mounted with the fan pointing down, then i decided to move it, making the fan point to the front of the PC where 2 fans are blowing air into the pc. Temps did not change at all for some reason. I also have 1 fan in the back and one on the top that suck out air. To sum things up, my CPU is idleing at 35-40 degrees, and under a few hours of gaming it goes to 80-83 degrees. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
i7 8700k non OC
1080ti evga sc black non OC
asus z370F MB
2x8 3600mhz adata ram

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
That simply is a barely adequate cpu cooler for that cpu. That used to be a good value cooler but now that Intel added cores and has all their chips running really close to max speed out of the box it's no longer a viable cooler for the i7s or i9s

WildCard999

Titan
I think your right about the GPU causing the higher idle temp so now you just need to find out why your GPU is running at the max clock speed at idle. As for the CPU the temps should be under 80C in regular use such as gaming but a better cooler such as the Cryorig R1 or Dark Rock 4 would improve those temps.

The 212 EVO is weak for a 8700K so that's why you are seeing those temps.

I have one system with a 8700K in it using a Noctua NH U12S (NF-A12x25 fan) and the idle temps are below 30C and it's running 4.7 GHz all cores. Gaming temps are in the mid to high 60's...….

In a Factual Design Focus G case with 2x fans in the front and one fan in the rear.

GPU is a GTX 1080 FTW2

Jan 20, 2019

What a coincidence! My case is also fractal focus g ( white ). Anyway i get that noctua coolers are the best air coolers, but what makes the my cooler master so inadequate? It is the same style as the noctuas with the huge heatsink. Also i should mention that my ambient temps are around 15-18 degrees ( yes i like to live in cold weather ). Thanks for the reply! Have a nice day!

Jan 20, 2019

Thank you for the reply! I'm thinking of switching to kraken x62 280mm ( suggest a better AIO of you think there are any ), but the dilemma is that according to a lot of youtube comparison videos, the difference between air coolers and AIO's is very small, close to non-existant. Plus the fact that the pumps in the AIO's tend to have a life span of 2-3 years just worries me.

Jan 20, 2019

Thanks for the reply! I have done a lot of research about the GPU also. Even changing power management mode to adaptive doesn't do it. I've just come to the conclusion that it's just the card itself. It's not that big of a problem, but it's just bugging me that the card pumping those speeds for nothing. It's like keeping your car above 3k rpm all the time.

The 212 is old design and not a very good one at that.

Link to the NH U12S

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s.html

Install EVGA XOC or if you already have it set it back to defaults.

Jan 20, 2019

Can you suggest a high end AIO? because where i live the noctua coolers are just a tad bit cheaper than a nzhty

get a 240mm AIO cooler, your 8700K will purr even overclocked at 4.8-5.0 ghz. (if your board permits it)

I used a thick 120mm Cooler with dual fans and at 4.8Ghz it hovers around 35c to 80'c during gaming on an H80i

now I put a Enermax LIQMAX II 240mm on it, games at 26c to 75'c @ 4.9Ghz
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QWZIN92?tag=mc8239334-20

there are better, but I refuse to pay 199$ for stupid RGB Aio.

Solution