i7 8700k underperforming?

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018
I was doing a benchmark on time spy to test my new build, I had a GPU score of 10800 which i'm happy with but a CPU score of 5600. I have looked at other benchmarks for the i7 8700k and they're significantly higher at about 8000. Any ideas as to why score is so much lower?

Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vHCTNQ

Solution

Okay that tells us that everything is running well and within spec. The reason your score might be low is becouse it is not doing an all core 4.7GHz which you get by enabling MCE in the BIOS...Also have you set the memory to run at 3000MHz by enabling the XMP profile in the BIOS?

So just to clarify, within...
It would be really good to understand what speed your 8700K is running at, is it overclocked or just running at stock. Have you enabled MCE (multi core enhancement) in the BIOS. What CPU cooler you are using and memory speeds. What are your idle temps. Also do a run of Prime95 version 26.6 blend test and let us know what max temps are with something like RealTemp or Hardware Info.

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

My CPU is stock, I have not done anything to it. A friend of mine built it for me, not sure how to check as i've never been in the bios before. My cooler is CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate, memory speed is 3200. I'll download and do them tests.

Okay that is a fairly good setup. Just make sure you download Hardware Info and Prime95 version 26.6...Hardware Info is great for showing you what your CPU is doing both in terms of clock speeds and temps. Have Hardware Info open and the run the Prime95 version 26.6 blend test and let us know your highest temps reached and the highest clock speed the 8700K reach whilst running the test.

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

Does it have to be 26.6? or can I download a newer version?

It has to be 26.6 as this is better suited to Intel CPU's and won't utilise the 8700K's AVX instruction set that really heats the CPU up...Don't worry, 26.6 is the right version..

It's just a baseline that we are after to see whther you 8700K is running at the right speed and not throttling due to temps...

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I've downloaded them both and it's stress testing now I believe (12 windows open insde of prime 95) I also have hardware info up but i can't see the temp anywhere?

Edit: Never mind I looked at monitoring, it's around 52~ Clock speed is 4300

Okay that tells us that everything is running well and within spec. The reason your score might be low is becouse it is not doing an all core 4.7GHz which you get by enabling MCE in the BIOS...Also have you set the memory to run at 3000MHz by enabling the XMP profile in the BIOS?

So just to clarify, within your BIOS there are 2 settings, 1 for MCE (multi-core-enhancement) or something similar and 2 the XMP profile...

MCE lets you CPU work at its best and is worth having on as you will not be over stressing your CPU with it on...After enabling MCE and XMP, re-run the TimeSpy benchmark to see what the difference is.

Solution

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I do not know about that, i've never been in the bios before so ill have to look and how to get there and what to do when in there. Also the ram In that build is not the ram I have (couldn't find it on there) I actually have 3200 G.skil 16gb

I'm in the bios and have XMP Profile but cannot change it, also i cannot see MCE anywhere. Will these be in advanced? I have changed my RAM speeds however.

Getting into the BIOS is very easy...Just hit the delete key a few times just as soon as you switch your PC on...Plenty of guides on You Tube....

But the important thing here is, when your friend built your system, did he enable XMP otherwise you RAM will be running at 2666MHz or 2400MHz and you are not utilising that nice 3200MHz RAM....You can check this in Hardware info...You should see your RAM settings in Hardware info and if you see a speed of 1600 it means the RAM is running at 3200 (1600 x 2 due to double data!).

Also MCE is pretty straightforward as it is just enabled or disabled and you can choose...Just save your settings and exit the BIOS and all should work with a faster 8700K.

What motherboard do you have?

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

When i go to my memory on HardwareInfo it says 1600hz (3200) I did just change this from 2133 so I'm guessing that worked fine. When I was just in the bios I couldn't seem to find MCE or XMP, I'm not really sure where i'm meant to be looking. Sorry for being so bad at this!

I have the ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Forgot to mention he is talking about the 8600K but it all applies to the 8700K. With your CPU cooler, I would stay at 4.7GHz max as your cooler should be able to handle that fairly easily.

There are quiet a few guides on your motherboard if you ever want to go down the manual overclocking route but anything above 4.8GHz will require a better cooler..

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I've got it! Thank you very much for being patient and very helpful! I did a benchmark after changing the ram and it jumped to 6800, after allowing MCE its up to 7100 which is a lot better than before!

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I have only changed the multi core and have not touched anything else so i'd imagine it wont be over 4.7ghz