i7-8700K vs. the upcoming i9-9900K?

mohoem249

Commendable
Jun 28, 2018
Greetings,

Currently I have this old computer setup which is about 10 years old, which consists of
Core 2 Quad Q9400, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L, 4 GB of DDR2 Ram and a 600 watt PSU. I did upgrade the GPU to a GTX 760.

I want to upgrade the core components. Namely, the CPU, the motherboard and RAM. I was settled on buying the very popular 8700k but then I knew that there was an upcoming processor (i9-9900k) which is supposed to have (according to the speculations) 2 more cores and it should have the AVX-512 instruction set.

I do plan on using it for SolidWorks, Ansys, Autodesk Netfabb and VRmesh. This will also be used for some gaming.

My questions are:
1-Will the AVX-512 instruction set be of any benefit for running these software?
2-Aside from Ansys software which may benefit from the extra cores, most of the other software are single threaded and won't benefit from the extra cores. Will these 8 cores be necessary for the future?
3-To what extent does the L2 cache affect a computer performance?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
1. I couldn't tell you. The 512 is on the cutting edge right now, as it is present only in Xeon Phi, Skylake-SP/X, and Cannon/Ice Lake platforms. This should clarify a few things. https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/71tm03/how_much_faster_is_avx512_vs_avx256/

2. Honestly, as you've said, a lot of CAD work is single-core intensive, so the 8700k is your best bet for now and the future. I highly doubt 8 cores will be NECESSARY for the future, although having more cores/threads could be helpful for when software finally decides to take advantage of them.

3. The more cache you have, the faster the CPU can transfer/process data. However, the extent of that is determined on a case-by-case basis. Generally, you'll still be getting...
1. I couldn't tell you. The 512 is on the cutting edge right now, as it is present only in Xeon Phi, Skylake-SP/X, and Cannon/Ice Lake platforms. This should clarify a few things. https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/71tm03/how_much_faster_is_avx512_vs_avx256/

2. Honestly, as you've said, a lot of CAD work is single-core intensive, so the 8700k is your best bet for now and the future. I highly doubt 8 cores will be NECESSARY for the future, although having more cores/threads could be helpful for when software finally decides to take advantage of them.

3. The more cache you have, the faster the CPU can transfer/process data. However, the extent of that is determined on a case-by-case basis. Generally, you'll still be getting amazing performance with the 8700k no doubt.

Solution

rdgoodri

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Wait for i9-9900K, rumors have it, its coming out in August.

1-Will the AVX-512 instruction set be of any benefit for running these software? no, not for quite a while.
2-Aside from Ansys software which may benefit from the extra cores, most of the other software are single threaded and won't benefit from the extra cores. Will these 8 cores be necessary for the future? Extra cores are ALWAYS useful, if we had 64 or 128 would be even better.
3-To what extent does the L2 cache affect a computer performance? Its speeds up your process, so the more the better.

I'd be more excited if the 9800K/9900K were 10 nm (ergo, running cooler!), and, ran at at least the same clock speeds as the 8700K is capable of (little hopes for even a 4.8 GHz turbo due to thermals/power with 8 cores, frankly), but, I have my doubts as to whether it will even defeat the 8700K in gaming... If it's 8 cores at only 4.0 GHz, with a single core at 4.8 GHz, would could see it not exceeding the 8700K in gaming (obviously, only speculation); hopefully, we will all know 'soon'! :)