Laptop Full Specs:
MSI GS65 8RF Stealth Thin
Intel i7 8750H - 6 Core 8 Threads
Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q 8GB
16GB Ram
512GB SSD
144Hz AU Optronics Panel

Need some EXPERT ADVISE.

My CPU is running hot since I purchased it, it was running at 90c at 92c when running a Esport games and usage is just around 30 to 60 percent usage, the GPU is just fine it never reaches to a 90c.
ran a XTU Stress test for 30mins base on the video i was watching such as Linus, Dave2D and other reviewers.

for a STOCK Paste it gets 90 to 92c with thermal throttling.
after I changed it to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut with Undervolt -175mv still gets at 90 to 92c and still with thermal throttling.

my last resort is to use a Liquid Metal since it has a significant performance on Temps and hopefully works on my end, is it safe? on a laptop?
and my Laptop cooling system is Copper not aluminum. and other thing is that the Liquid Metal is HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE. is it okay to use a NAIL POLISH than Conformal Coating. been trying to look here but it is scarce in Philippines to buy a Conformal Coating VERY RARE.

Please Help!

Solution
Hey there,

I wouldn't use liquid metal, if the laptop wasn't specifically designed for it. I know Asus have done. Maybe other manufacturers too. It appears some liquid metal have gallium, and that can corrode aluminium or copper. So prob not best solution with most standard laptop heat pipes.

Presumably you disassembled fans and cleaned them too along with any fins on the pipe system? They can get pretty grubby with dust that could impact your temps, even if thermal paste and undervolt are applied correctly.

With that said, I'd be disappointed with those results. I haven't used Kryonaut but have tried Arctic MX4, Cooler Master Gel, and Noctua NT-h1. All gave me better results over stock, and the Noctua was the best over all for my...
Hey there,

I wouldn't use liquid metal, if the laptop wasn't specifically designed for it. I know Asus have done. Maybe other manufacturers too. It appears some liquid metal have gallium, and that can corrode aluminium or copper. So prob not best solution with most standard laptop heat pipes.

Presumably you disassembled fans and cleaned them too along with any fins on the pipe system? They can get pretty grubby with dust that could impact your temps, even if thermal paste and undervolt are applied correctly.

With that said, I'd be disappointed with those results. I haven't used Kryonaut but have tried Arctic MX4, Cooler Master Gel, and Noctua NT-h1. All gave me better results over stock, and the Noctua was the best over all for my laptop (Omen 15 - I7 9750h, GTX1660ti.) It worked best with both CPU and GPU, and temps were on average about 10-15c lower over stock.

Typical temps (summertime here where I live) Idle 30-34, gaming/load 65-85c max with all core boost at 4ghz.

You should have seen some reduction in heat.

Also, have you got a cooling pad? If not get a good one. Raise the rear of your laptop up will allow more cold air to pass through cooling system. It does make a difference.

You GPU temps are a little on the high side. Whilst it's designed to run in high 80's, I wouldn't want it just below 90 all the time. Mine sits at 70c with a 2 hour gaming run of BF V. Pretty consistent all the time.

Solution
Aug 18, 2019
Hey there,

With that said, I'd be disappointed with those results. I haven't used Kryonaut but have tried Arctic MX4, Cooler Master Gel, and Noctua NT-h1. All gave me better results over stock, and the Noctua was the best over all for my laptop (Omen 15 - I7 9750h, GTX1660ti.) It worked best with both CPU and GPU, and temps were on average about 10-15c lower over stock.

Typical temps (summertime here where I live) Idle 30-34, gaming/load 65-85c max with all core boost at 4ghz.

Also, have you got a cooling pad? If not get a good one. Raise the rear of your laptop up will allow more cold air to pass through cooling system. It does make a difference.

You GPU temps are a little on the high side. Whilst it's designed to run in high 80's, I wouldn't want it just below 90 all the time. Mine sits at 70c with a 2 hour gaming run of BF V. Pretty consistent all the time.

I did some research and thanks for your advise, I did raise rear end of the laptop still nothing happens, temps gets high the cooling pad is okay not that worn out yet, as per GN (Gamers Nexus) Copper is fine it will leave a heavy stain but it is a Bare copper unlike for aluminum that it will corrode.

Probably will go with Liquid Metal as I have reviewed its fine and I ordered a Thermal Grizzly Shield Conformal Coating design for Liquid Metal to avoid Short Circuit.
regarding the Thermal Paste that you have offered its quite hard to find it here in our Country the Arctic MX4 and the Cooler Master Gel, and the Noctua.

Specially our area is Really Freaking Hot! not all the time the Air Conditioning is Running so looking forward to these and will update you soon my temps, my AIM is to get Adequate Low Temps for both sides CPU and GPU and the same time my FANS will not turn into a Jet maybe around 40 to 60 percent. was able to see most of the people get - 20c on their temps and up the clocks of the Max-Q GPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQaqUyKVIEE

so in this Video Link from Gamers Nexus, they were able to demonstrate all three Metals Aluminum, Bare Copper, and Copper Nickel Plated, how would the liquid metal React, and also how to clean them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkwtMIec5I

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019
Well, he also advised to be very careful while using it in a laptop. Those tested were all desktop CPU's.

Hopefulyy you won't have any issues. Let us know how you get on.
Hey there,

I was able to bring down the Temps by Adjusting the Power on the CPU Using a Throttlestop new version and I like it since the throttlestop doesn't need to be added on the task scheduler.
my Temps is hovering around 75c to 80c which is pretty decent however when i do a Cinebench r15 the scores are low its around 900ish

So what I did is Undervolted the CPU to -175 for both CPU Core Volt and CPU Cache and i fiddled something in the Throttlestop called TPL which i watched in youtube to adjust the wattage base on my understanding.

So my CPU is pulling a Long Power Boost for 45Watts and the Short Power Boost is 90 Watts so I adjusted it for 25 for Long Power and 40 for Short Power in which I was able to reduce the temps from 90c - 92c to 75c to 83c which is pretty awesome.

I just need clarification about the TPL if it is okay to lower the wattage that supplies on the CPU does it affect anything or so this is the only thing for now i can do since the My Order for Liquid Metal hasn't yet arrived together with my Thermal Grizzly Conformal Coating.

So what I did is Undervolted the CPU to -175 for both CPU Core Volt and CPU Cache and i fiddled something in the Throttlestop called TPL which i watched in youtube to adjust the wattage base on my understanding.
You're better of keeping the cache about -120mv, and trying to push the core higher. My 9750h (essentially the same CPU) I have at -220mv on core. Seems like pushing the cache higher can cause instability. Here's my offsets:

View: https://imgur.com/RHipkbX

Uncleweb (TS author)has suggested that having the cache roughly half of the core is a better way for a lot of users.

So my CPU is pulling a Long Power Boost for 45Watts and the Short Power Boost is 90 Watts so I adjusted it for 25 for Long Power and 40 for Short Power in which I was able to reduce the temps from 90c - 92c to 75c to 83c which is pretty awesome.

Having your long power at 25w will cause your CPU to throttle (also reduce temps). However, if it were me, I'd want the better performance, so I've my long power at 45w (TDP of the chip - at stock speed) and short poert at 65w which is the max my CPU draws, not matter what load I put on it. Then by further increasing the offset, you may be able to negate the higher clockspeed/temps by undervolting more.

90w is way too high for short power. Was that default? Your CPU won't draw more than 65w at full pelt. Try 65 and see how temps are.

To answer your question, yes, it's okay to lower LP/SP, just keeping in mind you wont' get the best performance for your CPU.

I run HWMon/Info along side TS to see the clockspeed changes as I adjust different options in TS. Judge yourself what fit's your needs best.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019
Ahhh that's a first for me, so far no problems right now running the cache at -175mv and also the core at -175mv however i'll try to push the core instead than the cache ill try your recommendation.

so my Power Long is at 25 and the Short is at 40 that's how I got good temps, I tried several options like setting the Power Long and Short for 45 / 45 or 35 /40 the temps jumps way high 85 to 90c under stress test. and the Stock settings was 45/90 for the MSi GS65 8RF

Quick Question: though is it normal for the temps to jump up and down when doing a stress test like 70 to 80 then 85 to 90 like big jumps because for the GPU when I stress test it just slowly rising up unlike for the CPU.

and lastly i've seen other users that doing a normal Undervolt in XTU or throttle stop just adjusting the MV only that setting has effect on their end how come my laptop doesn't affect the temps even we have same laptop or specs.

i Just want the best performance at it with good temps and hopefully once i got the Liquid Metal and the Conformal Coating i get good temps with stock settings

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019
You're better of keeping the cache about -120mv, and trying to push the core higher. My 9750h (essentially the same CPU) I have at -220mv on core. Seems like pushing the cache higher can cause instability. Here's my offsets:

View: https://imgur.com/RHipkbX

Uncleweb (TS author)has suggested that having the cache roughly half of the core is a better way for a lot of users.

Having your long power at 25w will cause your CPU to throttle (also reduce temps). However, if it were me, I'd want the better performance, so I've my long power at 45w (TDP of the chip - at stock speed) and 65w which is the max my CPU draws, not matter what load I put on it. Then by further increasing the offset, you may be able to negate the higher clockspeed/temps by undervolting more.

90w is way too high for short power. Was that default? Your CPU won't draw more than 65w at full pelt. Try 65 and see how temps are.

To answer your question, yes, it's okay to lower LP/SP, just keeping in mind you wont' get the best performance for your CPU.

I run HWMon/Info along side TS to see the clockspeed changes as I adjust different options in TS. Judge yourself what fit's your needs best.

So I tried ur settings and recommendation the temps are still high still at 90c to 92c and the my idle temp is at 50ish is that normal? I live in a tropical country though, could you help how to attain that settings of your maybe we have different configs i have my speedshift on at 0

So there's a few things there:

Definitely focus more on the core undervolt. If you look at mine, I've got it set at -221. I could get slightly lower, but at -221 I've not had a single crash yet in 6 months. The cache undervolt will not reduce temps as much as the cores.

45/90 is just crazy as default. having the short power at 90 ensures that your CPU will not 'power throttle'. But can still throttle on temps.

and lastly i've seen other users that doing a normal Undervolt in XTU or throttle stop just adjusting the MV only that setting has effect on their end how come my laptop doesn't affect the temps even we have same laptop or specs.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

When you set speed shift to 0, it means your CPU will run at absolute max performance for whatever clockspeed you set. A good setting to try is 100. 0-100 is roughly max clockspeeds, with minimal down clocking. 100-170 is some downclocking (saves power, reduces clockspeed) 170-225 is your CPU constantly dialling down clockspeed (useful for battery power/low power usage).

These are my low temp, medium power settings:

View: https://imgur.com/MDpIh92

View: https://imgur.com/18LASvf

In FIVR, where I've set all cores at 3,3ghz, you can change that to 3.6 (i have as another setting for standard day to day gaming). Just change the max active core speed up and save. See what temps you hit. And then finally in my full performance setting, I just bump the active core speed to 4ghz all core. For this I need my long power max at 45 and short power 65. As I said your chip does not need and will not benefit from being higher that 65.

What does TS tell you your max power draw is when testing? This is how you judge your short power max (PL2)

Try these report back what temps are like.

Also, what are you using to 'stress test'?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019
So there's a few things there:

Definitely focus more on the core undervolt. If you look at mine, I've got it set at -221. I could get slightly lower, but at -221 I've not had a single crash yet in 6 months. The cache undervolt will not reduce temps as much as the cores.

45/90 is just crazy as default. having the short power at 90 ensures that your CPU will not 'power throttle'. But can still throttle on temps.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

When you set speed shift to 0, it means your CPU will run at absolute max performance for whatever clockspeed you set. A good setting to try is 100. 0-100 is roughly max clockspeeds, with minimal down clocking. 100-170 is some downclocking (saves power, reduces clockspeed) 170-225 is your CPU constantly dialling down clockspeed (useful for battery power/low power usage).

These are my low temp, medium power settings:

View: https://imgur.com/MDpIh92

View: https://imgur.com/18LASvf

In FIVR, where I've set all cores at 3,3ghz, you can change that to 3.6 (i have as another setting for standard day to day gaming). Just change the max active core speed up and save. See what temps you hit. And then finally in my full performance setting, I just bump the active core speed to 4ghz all core. For this I need my long power max at 45 and short power 65. As I said your chip does not need and will not benefit from being higher that 65.

What does TS tell you your max power draw is when testing? This is how you judge your short power max (PL2)

Try these report back what temps are like.

Also, what are you using to 'stress test'?

Sorry for the long reply, fortunately I was really frustrated with my Laptops Temperature so I decided to swap my GS65 to a gaming desktop since I have no longer plans to carry it with me and for me I think it is a good deal though.

I tried your settings followed every bit still the temps are way high and also I still haven't received my Liquid Metal so I went for the trade.

Desktop Specs

Intel i5 9400F
B365-F Asus Strix
120gb NVMe M.2
16gb RAM HyperX 2400mhz
GTX 1660 Super Zotac Gaming
Silverstone 600Watts Modular
Deepcool Gammax GT TUF Edition
Noctua Exhaust Fans
Nvision 144hz 27inch curve monitor

quick question i bought a 1PCIE PSU Cable that has Molex it says its for corsair PSU does it work on Silverstone PSU? I ordered 1 cause the PSU does not have a Molex IDE PCIE PSU Cable and the RGB Fans needs a molex cable.

and Let me what you think for the Desktop that i trade into

Status
Not open for further replies.