Question i7 9700k at 4.7GHz at 1.21v manually applied at bios but HWmonitor VID voltages are at 1.29v. Is it okay?

Dec 18, 2019
Overclocked my i7 9700k at 4.7GHz at 1.21v manually applied at bios but HWmonitor VID voltages are at 1.29v max. Is it okay or good for everyday powerusing or will it degrade the cpu?

Hitting temps of 72degC under stress testing for one hour (using an air cooler) and hitting a max of 61degC while gaming almost an hour and I am using the Override Voltage mode (using the msi z390i gaming edge ac) and using the mode 5 llc (the one just below the flat line curve, the one that shows that the curve is gowing down as load increases).

So do I have anything to worry about or does this (voltages including the ones shown in HWMonitor) sound okay?

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Overclocked my i7 9700k at 4.7GHz at 1.21v manually applied at bios but HWmonitor VID voltages are at 1.29v max. Is it okay or good for everyday powerusing or will it degrade the cpu?

Hitting temps of 72degC under stress testing for one hour (using an air cooler) and hitting a max of 61degC while gaming almost an hour and I am using the Override Voltage mode (using the msi z390i gaming edge ac) and using the mode 5 llc (the one just below the flat line curve, the one that shows that the curve is gowing down as load increases).

So do I have anything to worry about or does this (voltages including the ones shown in HWMonitor) sound okay?

I also own an Intel i7-9700K CPU, but it runs at that speed by default (no changes in the BIOS menu).

What was the speed of your CPU before the overclock?

Dec 18, 2019
I also own an Intel i7-9700K CPU, but it runs at that speed by default (no changes in the BIOS menu).

What was the speed of your CPU before the overclock?
Before overclocking it was at in its turbo boost mode (pre enabled by my Mobo manufacturer) hitting 4.9GHz and occasionally 4.7GHz but I wanted a stable consistent speed across the board so I overclocked it and getting stable consistent speeds with turbo boost enabled is never possible and more the no. of cores are working more the speeds will get lowered, turbo boost works well if you not utilising all the cores at a given time and it will hit that advertised speed provided only fewer cores are running and if all the cores are running it will never reach that speed, so I disabled turbo boost and went for manual overclocking and also when using turbo boost mode (sounds like you are using your cpu in that mode) voltages will be completely out of your control but this does not happen that much in case of manually dialing in the voltages.

Take a look at this video, it will clarify everything.
View: https://youtu.be/A5KmctjK-x4

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Before overclocking it was at in its turbo boost mode (pre enabled by my Mobo manufacturer) hitting 4.9GHz and occasionally 4.7GHz but I wanted a stable consistent speed across the board so I overclocked it and getting stable consistent speeds with turbo boost enabled is never possible and more the no. of cores are working more the speeds will get lowered, turbo boost works well if you not utilising all the cores at a given time and it will hit that advertised speed provided only fewer cores are running and if all the cores are running it will never reach that speed, so I disabled turbo boost and went for manual overclocking and also when using turbo boost mode (sounds like you are using your cpu in that mode) voltages will be completely out of your control but this does not happen that much in case of manually dialing in the voltages.

Take a look at this video, it will clarify everything.
View: https://youtu.be/A5KmctjK-x4

Yeah!
I prefer going for the default settings because my CPU cooler ain’t senzational.
It’s just a Corsair H45 liquid cooler.

Safe overclocking implies a good cooling solution.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
A 9700K will turbo to 4.6 GHz on all cores. Manually locking it to 4.7 seems kinda pointless, maybe even slightly detrimental as it won't boost to 4.9 GHz in lightly threaded loads, unless you only run all core loads (in which case it will be a marginal improvement).

But yes, those voltages are fine.

Reactions: Endre