I7-9700K CPU Core Voltage exceeds 1.4V in stock clocks

Jan 9, 2019
Hi,

I assembled PC a while ago and I´ve kept my BIOS at default (not overcloking) settings as I didn´t want to decrease lifespan of my CPU.

So when monitoring CPU I saw high voltages, my I7-9700K CPU Core Voltage exceeds temporarily 1.4V in Intels default boost of 4.9 GHz.
- In idle it is around ~0.7V
- But when CPU spikes (or at in load), it can hit as much as 1.447V

Any suggestions to set a max gap to voltages as I don´t want to buy another CPU in one year from now as I don´t think that so high voltage can be any good to my CPU.

Specs regarding suggestions:
- I have downloaded Asus Dual Intelligent Processors 5 software and I can alter CPU settings by this
- I have Asus Prime A-390 motherboard with updated BIOS

Thank you for your answers!

Solution
I would suggest he disable it as it is for all intensive purposes a stealth OC of the cpu, and with autovoltages being the way they are on most boards it could certainly cause temp issues and cpu degradation, and if he is reading voltages of 1.447 it is very possible vcore has already exceeded 1.52v as software voltage readings are known not to be entirely accurate. This is why most OC guides for 14nm suggest never going over 1.4v for 24/7 oc and plenty still suggest never going over 1.35v or so. This is in course unless you have an extreme OC setup and lots of knowledge to back it up and very few people have such setups. At any rate if he wants to run all cores at 4.9 he should just setup a proper overclock and not use the motherboards...

Phazoner

Distinguished
Go the easy way: Do -0.010v steps for the vCore offset and run a little bench to check stability. You can easily do this with Intel XTU and should be able to get at least a decrease to between -0.15 and -0.1, and probably less.

When you find the lowest voltage offset, (the lowest before you start getting freezes or blue screens when benchmarking) fix it via UEFI.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
If your cpu is running all cores at 4.9 it is because Enhanced Turbo(ET) or Multicore Enhancement(ME) is enabled. The cpu should only be able to run at 4.9 on one or two cores at a time at normal stock settings. If all your cores are running at 4.9 underload go into your bios and disable ET or ME and this should resolve the problem without having to change a bunch of settings and do stability testing. I would also consider calling Intel and telling them about this. I did the same thing after having a similar issue with my system(same cpu), but Intel kind of shrugged it off, but maybe if enough people complain about this Intel will take action and tighten the thumb screws on the motherboard mfgs.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
I would suggest he disable it as it is for all intensive purposes a stealth OC of the cpu, and with autovoltages being the way they are on most boards it could certainly cause temp issues and cpu degradation, and if he is reading voltages of 1.447 it is very possible vcore has already exceeded 1.52v as software voltage readings are known not to be entirely accurate. This is why most OC guides for 14nm suggest never going over 1.4v for 24/7 oc and plenty still suggest never going over 1.35v or so. This is in course unless you have an extreme OC setup and lots of knowledge to back it up and very few people have such setups. At any rate if he wants to run all cores at 4.9 he should just setup a proper overclock and not use the motherboards cheater function.

Solution