Question i7-9700k high temps

Zero420

Commendable
Oct 10, 2019
Hello!
So i recently switched out my old aio cooler for a new nh-d15 air cooler.

Problem is that now when testing the temps i get 38-42 degrees idle which is ok but under load as in cinebench or aida 64 it hits 70-72 degrees.

I overclocked my cpu to 5ghz @ 1.28V and i think i should be getting better temps with this cooler.

My case has a great airflow and my room is not hot.

This is after ~5min in aida64
5BZhjAWXte.png

Zero420

Commendable
Oct 10, 2019
Perfectly normal temps, especially at 5 GHz....; in fact, they are quite low for that clock speed and sort of load.

(Is that an all-core turbo of 5 GHz OC? In that case, your temps are excellent)

Hmm, i just ran furmark for a little while and it was almost at 80 degrees. Im pretty sure it shouldnt be this hot with this cooler.
I have read multiple threads of people having way better temps on the same cpu and cooler.

eGNSjcKoqV.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Performance is only as good as the weakest link, and that case is middle of the road for cooling performance.
You've got a high power cpu and gpu in there.
Anyone really concerned about thermals shouldn’t be getting sheer-fronted cases anyway; front mesh panel cases will almost always do better for airflow.
The more obstacles added, the weaker the airflow going into the case. In the H500, the obstacles are:
-the filtered side and bottom intakes. Filtered intake is still better than no filter.
-the air has to turn 90 degrees from whichever side it came in from.

Zero420

Commendable
Oct 10, 2019
Performance is only as good as the weakest link, and that case is middle of the road for cooling performance.
You've got a high power cpu and gpu in there.
Anyone really concerned about thermals shouldn’t be getting sheer-fronted cases anyway; front mesh panel cases will almost always do better for airflow.
The more obstacles added, the weaker the airflow going into the case. In the H500, the obstacles are:
-the filtered side and bottom intakes. Filtered intake is still better than no filter.
-the air has to turn 90 degrees from whichever side it came in from.

So do think that it works as well as it could? I bought this case because it was the best (cheapest) looking one that could fit the cpu cooler. Also my gpu has 3 fans and has no thermal problems at all. Like 50degrees max during gaming

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So do think that it works as well as it could?
Yes.

I bought this case because it was the best (cheapest) looking one that could fit the cpu cooler. Also my gpu has 3 fans and has no thermal problems at all. Like 50degrees max during gaming
Whoa, just 50C? That's damn good... almost as if the card were idling...
I say that, because these cards idle at like 40-45C with fans off.

Zero420

Commendable
Oct 10, 2019
Yes.

Whoa, just 50C? That's damn good... almost as if the card were idling...
I say that, because these cards idle at like 40-45C with fans off.
Alright guess ill be fine with the temps. Just hoped for better ones as i have seen way better temps from people with the same cooler.
And about the gpu, if u spend 820$ on it, it better be good haha

I also have an 2080 oc from Rog Strix which I got to idle at 32c by changing the setting in Nvidia Conrol panel- Global settings from Maximum preformance to Adaptive, went from 43c to 32c idle with the fans off and just 300mhz clock and 810mhz memory at idle. Boosts to normal gaming etc so really happy-

Zero420

Commendable
Oct 10, 2019
Ehh, my cpu sits around 35C also in bios, but between 35-40C idling on Windows.

Gpu isn't visible in bios for me, but I already mentioned how mine idles at 45C with fans off before turning on Msi Afterburner.

Well now it seems something is wrong. I get these temps while only running firefox and nothing else
nNzEuFJZ7R.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't really see a problem.

Windows is running in the background behind the scenes, so it's more than just Firefox...
What is your Load Line Calibration set to? People tend to make the mistake of using the high and extreme settings, which generally should be avoided unless running LN2 or liquid cooling the VRMs.
Medium is as high as you need to go.

Then there's also the memory. Is it overclocked? Running more than 2 sticks? Both of these increase cpu package temps.

Zero420

Commendable
Oct 10, 2019
I don't really see a problem.

Windows is running in the background behind the scenes, so it's more than just Firefox...
What is your Load Line Calibration set to? People tend to make the mistake of using the high and extreme settings, which generally should be avoided unless running LN2 or liquid cooling the VRMs.
Medium is as high as you need to go.

Then there's also the memory. Is it overclocked? Running more than 2 sticks? Both of these increase cpu package temps.
Not sure what Load Line Calibration is set to. I have 2x ram sticks running at 2666mhz.