Question I7 9700k Oc Not Stable

zicu111

Commendable
Feb 21, 2017
Hello everybody. So, recently, i've ugraded most of my components from my PC. So, i have a new i7 9700k with a Scythe Ninja 4, Gigabyte Aorus Pro motherboard, gtx 1080ti, PSU Corsair 750W, a samsung ssd 1TB Nvme, 16 gb ddr4 2400Mhz only, all together in a NZXT Case, with good cable management. I have the latest BIOS update. I am playing games in 1440p 144hz.
Ok, so i tried to overclock the CPU. And i started, first, by changing some of the settings from BIOS, after reading some oc guides, like this:
Enhanced Multi-Core Performance - disabled
AVX Offset - auto
SVID offset - disabled
VT-d -disabled
Intel Speed Shift Technology - disabled
Ring to core offset (down bin) - disabled
CPU EIST Function - disabled
Voltage Optimization - disabled
Intel Turbo Bost - disabled
Active Turbo Ratios - disabled
C-States Control - all disabled
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration - Turbo (it has also, extreme and super extreme options)
I also have this, by default like that:
CPU Internal AC/DC Load Line - Auto
CPU Base Clock - Auto - meaning 100.00Mhz
Ring Ratio - Auto - meaning 43 (uncore ratio)
IGP Ratio - Auto - meaning 30.00
Then, i started slow, with 4.8ghz and 1.26V, all good in prime95 26.6, stable after 1 hour, and good temperatures, 90 celsius degrees on 2 cores maximum, but, when i started gaming, i got different blue screens, until i reached 1.30V, by increasing with 0.01V, step by step, and the temperatures were max 75 celsius degrees, but still, it's not stable, neither at 1.30V.
Then, i tried with 4.9ghz, starting from 1.31V, again, all good in prime95 26.6, stable, no bluescreens or freezes, temperatures around 95 celsius degrees on few cores, but, again, when i started gaming, it showed again bluescreens, until i reached 1.35V, and, again, temperatures were max 78 celsius degrees, but average around 75, and still, it's not stable, either at 1.35V.
I tried first Fifa 20 and CS:GO, and it appeared to be ok, but after those 2 were stable, i played Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and i can't play it stable atm, i get bluescreens after 15-30 minutes of playing. In fifa20 or csgo, at 4.8@1.30V or 4.9@1.35V, at least, after 1-2 hours, i didn't received any bluescreens.
I want to mention, that, i tried to put the uncore ratio to 46(manual), and i got some desktop random freezing, so i let it un auto aswell.
Is it really so hard to get it stable, or i am doing something wrong? On my last i7 7700k, i didn't had some many issues by making it stable, but this one, i am a little bit out of ideas, because in my oppinion, for daily usage, 4.9ghz @1.36V or more is a little bit risky, and maybe there is something else to change so i can make it stable.
I am here for more informations, if you need me and if you can please help me with some advices, i appreciate it. Thank you

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I guess, are you only adjusting core voltage? What about voltage input to the CPU? Usually like 1.8 volts stock, sometimes have to push it to 2 or so to get decent results.

LLC can help a lot. Under heavy loads it is there to counter voltage sag. Kick it up a notch and you may even be able to back down on core voltage a little.

Auto AVX offset might backfire, when an AVX load is on it may be dumping the cores all the way back to sub 4Ghz, or if auto works the other way, only dropping a few hundred megahertz from your set frequency. Or trying to run AVX loads at like 4.6Ghz or something.

What voltage are you giving the memory? Might be unstable and need a little bit more. You may not have fast memory, but that doesn't mean the high loads on the CPU are keeping the memory controller happy at the same time.

Seems like your cooling is a little inadequate.

You might honestly have better results by resetting the BIOS, enabling multi-core enhancement, and just changing the max boost. And then fiddling with core voltage.

As for voltage safety, currently pumping 1.416 volts through my 7700k to get 5Ghz, but it is water cooled, and I don't run it all that much. Though I plan to hack a 9700k into my Z270 board over Christmas. Hoping for some 9700k and storage bundles on Black Friday, but not looking good so far.

CPU VCore Loadline Calibration - High
VAXG Loadline Calibration - High
PWM Phase Control - Perf
VAXG Phase Control - High Perf
All C-States - Disabled
EIST (Intel SpeedStep Technology) - Disabled
Race to Halt - Disabled
Voltage Optimization - Disabled
Intel Speed Shift - Disabled
Enhanced Multi-Core Performance - Disabled

Try these. Helped me lower my voltage considerably.

zicu111

Commendable
Feb 21, 2017
I guess, are you only adjusting core voltage? What about voltage input to the CPU? Usually like 1.8 volts stock, sometimes have to push it to 2 or so to get decent results.

LLC can help a lot. Under heavy loads it is there to counter voltage sag. Kick it up a notch and you may even be able to back down on core voltage a little.

Auto AVX offset might backfire, when an AVX load is on it may be dumping the cores all the way back to sub 4Ghz, or if auto works the other way, only dropping a few hundred megahertz from your set frequency. Or trying to run AVX loads at like 4.6Ghz or something.

What voltage are you giving the memory? Might be unstable and need a little bit more. You may not have fast memory, but that doesn't mean the high loads on the CPU are keeping the memory controller happy at the same time.

Seems like your cooling is a little inadequate.

You might honestly have better results by resetting the BIOS, enabling multi-core enhancement, and just changing the max boost. And then fiddling with core voltage.

As for voltage safety, currently pumping 1.416 volts through my 7700k to get 5Ghz, but it is water cooled, and I don't run it all that much. Though I plan to hack a 9700k into my Z270 board over Christmas. Hoping for some 9700k and storage bundles on Black Friday, but not looking good so far.

Yes, i only adjusted core voltage. I don't know about voltage input to the CPU.
I am gonna try LLC on Extreme then.
Memory runs on auto 1.2V
My cooling CPU was more than ok on my last i7 7700k.
I know i must have better results after all, but I will try some few more changes...

zicu111

Commendable
Feb 21, 2017
CPU VCore Loadline Calibration - High
VAXG Loadline Calibration - High
PWM Phase Control - Perf
VAXG Phase Control - High Perf
All C-States - Disabled
EIST (Intel SpeedStep Technology) - Disabled
Race to Halt - Disabled
Voltage Optimization - Disabled
Intel Speed Shift - Disabled
Enhanced Multi-Core Performance - Disabled

Try these. Helped me lower my voltage considerably.

I already have most of those settings like that.

zicu111

Commendable
Feb 21, 2017
That's right. So, do you think that my cooling CPU is also a problem for bluescreens? Since my temps in gaming are not so high, I don't think that.