i7-9700k Overclock NEED HELP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2018
I7-9700k Overclocking problems!

i7-9700k - 4.9Ghz OC
H150i PRO 360mm
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus (yes I know I should of gotten a better mobo)
Trident Z RBG 16 GB DDR4-3200
EVGA 1080 Ti
EVGA 850W Gold

I am trying to Overclock to the safe 4.9GHz but everytime I do I seem to drop in HWInfo when I stress test using Aida64, Prime95, and even RealBench... I have a Core Voltage of 1.35 and have tried from 1.25 to 1.35 and nothing has helped it. I'm not big on overclocking and this is one of my first major Oc's and I don't know if the core clock is supposed to drop when you do hard stress tests or If something in my system is malfunctioning.

PLEASE HELP!!

Solution
If you aren't stressing your CPU it fluctuates in speed. This is completely normal. If You run a benchmark it should stay at the OC speed. Even when gaming, if the game does not push the CPU hard enough, it will drop in speed as it has power saving features. If your speed is dropping during stress tests then its likely heat related and you need a better CPU cooler.

The VRM (voltage regulator module) handles the voltage regulation to the CPU. This is a very intensive and exact process. The higher end motherboards tend to have a stronger VRM. For better overclocking you want a higher phase VRM and heatsinks. If the voltage fluctuates too much in the VRM, you get a restart of,your PC. Strong stable VRM keep a stable OC. You can achieve...
Nov 25, 2018

This build was from my old computer, not a recent build. I still have my windows key and all that so I believe it shouldn't be a problem. This reasoning for all this was I upgraded from a r7 1700x to a 9700k for streaming purposes while playing csgo since it is a cpu intensive game. I never had luck streaming csgo with my amd chip so I went for the 9700k with a high OC.

So far my hard drive has kept my windows alive on my PC.

Nov 25, 2018

I didn't have to reinstall windows. My old hard drive had it on it. I had the code from before and it transferred over through my HD and SSD.

I saw a video from Linus saying that sometimes when you change mobos it will make you reinstall windows as if it never was on the system but sometimes you will get lucky and not have to reinstall it.

Nov 25, 2018
Also I am looking to stream and game on this PC. What do you believe is a good OC for this system. I do not want to push it insanely hard since it will be used literally everyday for the next year or two.

Nov 25, 2018

So you are saying you don't have to OC it will do it automatically from the Turbo?

Nov 25, 2018

Oh okay, I had my 1700x OC'ed at 3.9 Ghz through Asus Ez Mode and It was so smooth. I believe it is because I cheaped out on a mobo... I think I'm going to go back and get a ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming and just let it do its stuff.

My old CPU would run CSGO at about 150-200fps and when i stream it would bounce from 110-140 which is a problem because I have a 144hz monitor and my screen would tear. I play competitively and that is the worst thing in the world for me.

Nov 25, 2018

So you think I should just keep it at the default settings play away? I have a VG248QE monitor

EDIT : Just read that it doesn't have G-Sync but used to have a conversion kit for G-Sync. (WHY IS TECHNOLOGY SO GREAT YET SO BAD)

Nov 25, 2018
@volkgren @bmockeq I went to Micro Center and one of their reps told me to get a Maximus VI Hero he said it is one of the best boards for overclocking so I went with it. It was a bit pricey and volk you were right, i had to reinstall windows which actually deleted everything off of my SSD because of it already being partitioned for previous use. RIP. Anyway I want to thank both of you for the help. I will be redownloading and starting the overclocking process again tonight

Nov 25, 2018

Fixed the problem without any worries. I believe I had my voltage at 1.3v and got to 4.9GHz without a problem. Sits in the mid 50s-60s. Awesome Bios as well. Thanks to the both of you!

Nov 25, 2018

I have not, i dont want to overdo it because im using it for streaming and im on it literally every day for at least 8 hours a day with games

The voltage is what's important, the speed of the chip doesn't matter for speed or longevity. If you are using 1.3v then anytime it's at full speed it's at 1.3v whether you are running 3ghz or 6ghz. That's why if you could hit 5.0 or 5.1 At the same voltage then there is no difference except more speed for the same input.

Nov 25, 2018

So you are saying try 5.0 and 5.1 at 1.3v and see if it holds stable, if not then stay at 4.9? I have a feeling it can go 5.0 or 5.1 easy at 1.3-1.325v