Question I7-9700K overclocking - can these changes kill my system?

Oct 13, 2023
Specs:
CPU and GPU are watercooled in a custom loop, and at the CPU's current default settings, it reaches high 30's without load, and approx. 60 under full load.
  • CPU: I7-9700K
  • GPU: EVGA FTW3 1080 TI
  • MOBO: Asus Prime z390-A
  • Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3200 mhz
  • PSU: EVGA 1000W

I have had some stubborn issues with my newly acquired I7-9700K mainly around performance and load throttling, entire system freezes very often, path finder crashes when handling large folders (3.000 files plus, albeit just pictures).

I have not OC'd for many years and I am currently writing my thesis and need a functional machine asap. I found a complete OC guide for my CPU with the same Mobo as well (Z390). I don't know if such an OC setup is too advanced, but at this point my only goal is to have a functioning system while writing my thesis. I have followed the entire guide but before actually loading it i have a few questions:

1) The guide is 5 years old, does that matter when the hardware is the same?
2) As the CPU was not touched prior to this, there are a plethora of changes - Could enabling so many changes at once have a negative or critical effect on the system? And do I even need all of these? Changes in pictures below.

Endre

Honorable
Specs:
CPU and GPU are watercooled in a custom loop, and at the CPU's current default settings, it reaches high 30's without load, and approx. 60 under full load.
  • CPU: I7-9700K
  • GPU: EVGA FTW3 1080 TI
  • MOBO: Asus Prime z390-A
  • Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3200 mhz
  • PSU: EVGA 1000W

I have had some stubborn issues with my newly acquired I7-9700K mainly around performance and load throttling, entire system freezes very often, path finder crashes when handling large folders (3.000 files plus, albeit just pictures).

I have not OC'd for many years and I am currently writing my thesis and need a functional machine asap. I found a complete OC guide for my CPU with the same Mobo as well (Z390). I don't know if such an OC setup is too advanced, but at this point my only goal is to have a functioning system while writing my thesis. I have followed the entire guide but before actually loading it i have a few questions:

1) The guide is 5 years old, does that matter when the hardware is the same?
2) As the CPU was not touched prior to this, there are a plethora of changes - Could enabling so many changes at once have a negative or critical effect on the system? And do I even need all of these? Changes in pictures below.

Hello!

My advice is this:
Please do not overclock your PC!
It's not worth it.
You might gain a drop of extra performance, but you might lose system stability, which will lead to troubleshooting that will make you lose more time than the time you've gained by overclocking in the first place.

But... That's just my advice.

I hope this helps...