[SOLVED] i7 9700k RTX 3080 performing lower than expected

Al-tamimi

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Hello, i got my 3080 couple of months ago and i've been seeing that my friends with normal and bad rigs getting same fps as me like today i played rust with a friend that has gtx 1060 thats getting almost same fps as me with same settings
im running a
ZOTAC RTX 3080 up to date drivers
Corsair RM850x with two cables connected to gpu
i7 9700k overclocked to 5GHz
32GB DDR4 ram 2400mhz
512GB Samsung 950 M.2
2TB HD the one i run almost all games on
i play on 1080p 144hz benq monitor
and i tried the userbenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49457477
i also did a clean windows install when i replaced my old GPU

Last edited:
Solution
i restarted and checked the bios it was on auto i set it to 4.9 and auto voltage and i just did a benchmark with cinebench r23 with hwmonitor on and max voltage, temps and usage are in this pic https://prnt.sc/26bqzpp is the voltage high? ,and i did the userbenchmark again https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49460577
Voltage is fine. The CPU though it still boost only to 4,8GHz and you still have not answered about temps. My suspicion is that it's thermal throttling.

Another thing to notice is that your HDD is NOT used as it has 2TB of 2TB free. Unless userbenchmark has a bug which will be the first I've seen on false reporting of free space.
So, what is it? Are you sure you are using HDD for games (which by the...
Your CPU is not running at 5.0Ghz that you said, it goes up to 4,75GHz which may indicate thermal issues. So, how are your temps idle and while gaming?

You have high background CPU usage, please restart the system, let it idle for 5 mins and then with everything closed run again the userbenchmark and share the link.

Ram does influence performance. More in Ryzen especially 3rd gen and beyond and less for Intel but not as significant influence as AMD. The best speed in most cases is 3200-3600MHz.

Rust is mostly CPU bound so, the temps and the clock speeds of CPU plays the most significant role here.

Al-tamimi

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Your CPU is not running at 5.0Ghz that you said, it goes up to 4,75GHz which may indicate thermal issues. So, how are your temps idle and while gaming?

You have high background CPU usage, please restart the system, let it idle for 5 mins and then with everything closed run again the userbenchmark and share the link.

Ram does influence performance. More in Ryzen especially 3rd gen and beyond and less for Intel but not as significant influence as AMD. The best speed in most cases is 3200-3600MHz.

Rust is mostly CPU bound so, the temps and the clock speeds of CPU plays the most significant role here.
i restarted and checked the bios it was on auto i set it to 4.9 and auto voltage and i just did a benchmark with cinebench r23 with hwmonitor on and max voltage, temps and usage are in this pic https://prnt.sc/26bqzpp is the voltage high? ,and i did the userbenchmark again https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49460577

Voltage is fine. The CPU though it still boost only to 4,8GHz and you still have not answered about temps. My suspicion is that it's thermal throttling.

Another thing to notice is that your HDD is NOT used as it has 2TB of 2TB free. Unless userbenchmark has a bug which will be the first I've seen on false reporting of free space.
So, what is it? Are you sure you are using HDD for games (which by the way it's not the best ).

If we can't be sure about the CPU first, we can't know if the GPU has issues because CPU will determine the max fps. The other option is to put the GPU in another system and see how it performs but that would be AFTER we make sure the CPU runs as it's supposed to.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
With a RTX 3080 and 1080p monitor the limiting factor in nearly all games will be the cpu/RAM. The 3080 is really overkill for 1080p so you will see fps similar to others who are also cpu limited with similar cpu performance. If you want to fully utilise a 3080 you will need to go up in resolution.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Al-tamimi

Reputable
May 11, 2019

So, what is it? Are you sure you are using HDD for games (which by the way it's not the best ).

If we can't be sure about the CPU first, we can't know if the GPU has issues because CPU will determine the max fps. The other option is to put the GPU in another system and see how it performs but that would be AFTER we make sure the CPU runs as it's supposed to.
cpu temps are averaging about 70c under 100% load during a test i did with IntelBurnTest and its going between 4400 and 4900 GHz, sometime ago it was running at full clock before and i think i reset the bios settings at that time its some setting in the bios that will make it stay at full clock at all time but i dont remember what settings is that now, i changed my settings because i read that it harms the cpu if it stays full clock at all time which i recorded
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAO_xao01Q&ab_channel=Z7
. "sorry i didn't mute the background noise"

the hdd is bugged in the benchmark but its working with no problems im planning to swap it with an ssd soon, and i use the hdd for games most of the time
and sorry for responding too late

Al-tamimi

Reputable
May 11, 2019
With a RTX 3080 and 1080p monitor the limiting factor in nearly all games will be the cpu/RAM. The 3080 is really overkill for 1080p so you will see fps similar to others who are also cpu limited with similar cpu performance. If you want to fully utilise a 3080 you will need to go up in resolution.
yeah but isn't going low to high settings like going from 1080p to 1440p like in a way? i tried that and i got lower fps,if not should i try changing to 1440p through the nvidia control panel?

yeah but isn't going low to high settings like going from 1080p to 1440p like in a way? i tried that and i got lower fps,if not should i try changing to 1440p through the nvidia control panel?
I have a 3080 and even at 1440p there are times it’s not 100% utilised as it’s the cpu/RAM determining the max fps. This is usually at max/ultra settings in the games I play.

Ultimately the cpu determines the best fps you can achieve. The gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that fps with. So running 1080p on a 3080 the fps will nearly always be limited by the cpu and the gpu will have unused potential. Going from 1080p to 1440p or higher won’t give higher fps, it will utilise more of a 3080’s potential.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

Al-tamimi

Reputable
May 11, 2019
I have a 3080 and even at 1440p there are times it’s not 100% utilised as it’s the cpu/RAM determining the max fps. This is usually at max/ultra settings in the games I play.

Ultimately the cpu determines the best fps you can achieve. The gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that fps with. So running 1080p on a 3080 the fps will nearly always be limited by the cpu and the gpu will have unused potential. Going from 1080p to 1440p or higher won’t give higher fps, it will utilise more of a 3080’s potential.
well i mostly play competitive and all i need is higher fps, maybe in the future i'll upgrade my monitor, but its good to know all that information thank you!

Last edited: