i7 9700K Running Hot

Mark_166

Distinguished
May 23, 2016
Hello There,

So I just got the 9700K today (coming from a 6700K), and so far it's pretty great except for a temperature problem when using any application with the AVX instruction set such as Prime95 or Handbrake (which I do use outside of benchmarking).

So to start:

Ambient Temperature: 22C
Processor: 9700K @ Stock
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 2 1000W PSU
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
Cooler: H100i v2 in Push/Pull configuration, top mounted
Case: Corsair Obsidian

Idle Temperatures: 28C on all cores

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Temps: mid 40's with occasional peaks into the low 50s
World of Warcraft: Mid 50's the whole way through
Assassin's Creed Odyssey: low to mid 60s with the occasional peaks into the low 70s (rare)

Cpu-z stress test: starts in the low to mid 70's and after about an hour it peaks in the low 80s

Prime95 with AVX disabled via the inf file: consistently low to mid 80s when using the small FFT test and mid 70s to low 80s for the blend test

Prime 95 with AVX ON: instantly shoots to mid 90s and then to 100 after about 15 seconds

Handbrake (which I do use on occasion for encoding): mid 90s almost immediately. Again, this uses AVX

Folding@Home: High 80s. Again AVX is used.

Now, I'm ok with the synthetics being the whole problem, but as I said above, I do use Handbrake sometimes and that is affected as well.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried reseating the cooler twice now (each time wiping away all of the thermal paste and reapplying new Arctic Silver 5 paste using the pea-sized method) and it has not helped.

Does this processor just run really hot while using AVX? None of the reviews out there seem to mention thermals on the 9700k at all. Anandtech did mention thermals on the 9900k and they did witness temps in the 90s for Prime95 while using the same H100i cooler as me, and at stock settings for the CPU.

Is the cooler not sufficient enough perhaps?

Any ideas are welcome!

Edit: Also, some additional info: The pump is running at max, and the fans are at 100% as well. I know the pump is working because I can feel the vibrations of the water moving though the tubes.

There are some reviews mentioning the thermals on the 9900K, which is pretty much the same chip with additional hyperthreading. Derbauer showed that the thickness of the die has basically doubled this generation and is one of the reasons why the new chips are running hot even with solder. The solder is also apparently somewhat thick. The review of the 9900k on tom's showed a similar problem with power consumption and exceeding TDP limits in avx tasks.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html

I don't think anything in your system is faulty or anything, maybe Intel will patch this soon.

I would say that your H100i is at it's limit with your 9700K...I know that should not be the case but unfortunately it is the luck of the draw and they do run hot...especially when using the AVX instruction set.

Have you tried running the specific Intel focused blend test with Prime95 version 26.6 as that is probably more of a real world test for you unless you run massive programmes that specifically use the AVX instruction set as in gaming it will never be an issue.

Bottom line a 280mm or even better a 360mm AIO is what is required to get the most out of your 9700K or perhaps play around with vcore to see if you can get it lower than the standard auto vcore the motherboard runs which tends to be a bit higher.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Mark_166 ,

Power consumption (Watts) and Core temperatures can be controlled by using AVX Offsets in BIOS. Make sure it's enabled, then start with a setting of at least 2 (200 MHz). The higher the value, the lower the Core temperatures, Power consumption ... and Core speed.

Also, you may want to read this: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution

Mark_166

Distinguished
May 23, 2016

Thank you for this! I had no idea that setting existed. I wound up settling on 3, which gimps the processor by 300MHz when under an AVX load, so this is more of a patch in my eyes than a fix. If it's true that these chips are pulling far beyond their rated TDP, hopefully a BIOS update down the line can fix it. It'll likely still mean gimped performance under AVX loads, but probably not as bad as a loss of 300MHz.

New load temps with AVX @ 4300MHz vs 4600MHz are in the low to mid 80s.

Mark_166

Distinguished
May 23, 2016

Auto on my motherboard has actually been pretty good. Voltages under 100% non-AVX load are 0.888V. So, assuming the cooler is insufficient, do you have any recommendations?

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
one thing that gets me with these liquid coolers is the lack of thermal wattage rating. The Corsair H110i is the same ( or near) as a Cooler Master Hyper 212. so if both are like 200W you would need to find one 1/3 more, say 300W.

but I always go 1.5 times the power draw. So 168W x 1.5 = 252

So you need at minimum a 250W dissipation rating on the heatsink.

I am running the Corsair H150i Pro which is the 360mm AIO and can only sing it's praises keeping my 8700K overclocked to 4.9GHz for 24/7 use and 5GHz for testing with no issues well and truly under control. I think a good 280mm or even better a 360mm AIO will do a good job in keeping the 9700K in check. At the end of the day, unfortunately a better cooler is required...

Oct 28, 2018

Sorry about the accidental downvote, I was scrolling on my phone and I tend to be a bit clumsy.

What kind of temps are you seeing with your H150i Pro?

On my 8700K at 4.9GHz prior to delidding with Prime95 version 26.6 and Aida64 Extreme I was at roughly mid 70's degrees C to high 80's maxing on 1 core at 92 degrees with the small FFT torture test...

With the delid, mid 50's degrees in AIDA64 Extreme, Low 50 degrees C in Prime95 Blend test and Prime95 small FFT's tops out at 66 degrees C....CPU-Z is mid 50's with the highest core hitting a max of 57 degrees C.

The delid has made a huge difference...

Oct 28, 2018
That's incredible! I have a 9700k with a 360mm Swiftech Drive X3 aio (which scores 165 points on my Asus motherboard's meter) and I reach mid to high 80's on Prime 95 small FFT's. I really thought the s-Tim would yield better temps

I actually think the new Solder TIM is doing it's job, the only problem is that you have 8 proper cores clocked very high and at 5GHz all core not even Solder TIM is going to be great..The Intel 14nm ++ process is reaching it's limit and you can't knock 5GHz and above from that process node... Keeping in mind that Ryzen on a 12nm process can barely hit 4.3GHz... Mid 80's on Prime95 small FFT's is not bad at all for an all 8 core CPU.

Remember that your 9700K will never really be taking that load under normal use. Small FFT's is super demanding and really tortures the CPU so that is just absolute worst case...In gaming and productivity, I doubt you will go over 60 degrees C...

I think the key is going to be voltage/vcore with the 9700K and 9900K and playing around with that to get the lowest stable vcore for the best overclock and fingers crossed you will have better temps....

Oct 28, 2018
I actually peak at around 71 degrees during gaming but for the most part hover between mid 50's and mid 60's on 4.9ghz @ 1.26v. If I boost the clock speed to 5ghz @ 1.33v I get peaks of around 73 degrees while gaming but the average is pretty similar.

Oct 28, 2018
That's very reassuring as this is my first overclock. I dialed it down from 5Ghz because I felt like the performance boost didn't justify the higher temps especially at the high end