Question i7 9700k vs i9 9900k?

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Hey guys,

I am building a rig and was wondering what CPU I should get. I play a lot of games, mainly FPS and would like to have the availability of good overclocking and I found these 2 CPU's. I play games like CS:GO, Fortnite, ARK, Subnautica, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Battlefield 1 and/or V and COD BO 3/4. I use 2 monitors. One is the Gigabyte Aorus monitor and one is just a cheap philips one. I use the Aorus one as the main one, with the philips one with my discord, music and stream going. I would like to know what CPU is better for all this and if it helps to know, here are my other specs.
PSU - Asus ROG Thor 850w
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
MOBO - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU - ???
GPU - Zotac RTX 2080 AMP! Extreme
COOLER - NZXT Kraken X72
CASE - ASUS Tuf Gaming GT501
RAM - Patriot Viper Steel 16GB 4133mhz

If there are any other things you would change spec wise, let me know

Thanks in advance,
Fate05

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
That’s a nice looking pc and good choice on the case!

There is not much difference in price between the two but the 9900k gives you hyperthreading and a higher turbo boost. I went with the 9900k myself for this reason, plus it looks like you aren’t cutting corners on your build so it’s a safe bet.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
That’s a nice looking pc and good choice on the case!

There is not much difference in price between the two but the 9900k gives you hyperthreading and a higher turbo boost. I went with the 9900k myself for this reason, plus it looks like you aren’t cutting corners on your build so it’s a safe bet.

Haha. Love the case though aye! Yeah I did think that myself actually. Sweet thanks man!

I went Intel because I know more about it and AMD isn't easy to upgrade down the line. I would have to do a whole new rig apparently. I read about it in a few articles

Given that AMD and it's mainboard manufacturers have pretty much stated the next gen of AMD processors (3000 series) will work with most current boards (B350/450, X370/470), I'd say whatever you were reading needs... updating... at a minimum :)

But, it's not as if any 9700K or 9900K suddenly becomes 'inadequate' if an AMD processor releases that potentially matches or outperforms it...

I went Intel because I know more about it and AMD isn't easy to upgrade down the line. I would have to do a whole new rig apparently. I read about it in a few articles
The platforms are just as easy to upgrade in the future. If anything AMD moreso as the next gen will be supported by the current boards, though you’re probably safer going for a X board if you wanna do that. Intel has given no such guarantees.