Question i7 CPU Upgrade

Oct 16, 2019
Hi, currentely my cpu is a i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz.
Could I update this to a i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90 GHz ?

Would it be possible?
Thanks

Oct 16, 2019
Thanks. Now do I Just swap or do I need to make some configurations also, like bios or so, or etcc? Also do I need to reinstall the Windows again, or I just run as it is after the cpu is swaped?

Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's possible if change the motherboard which'll require dismantling the laptop and replacing mobo with the soldered 4910MQ chip. Lot of effort for minimal gains. Search benchmarks between those two cpus. There'll only be within 5% difference.

Between the same "series" laptops can have diferent cpu installations, soldered or by socket. Just like Phaaze wrote, its not that hard to open the notebook and take a look. And there are many tutorials on youtube about disassembly.

But besides what boju wrote, about the performance gain, what you should really look at is if that notebook had the Core i7-4910MQ as an opton back in the days. If that CPU is not listed on the notebook specs as an option, then theres no guarantee it will work.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

But besides what boju wrote, about the performance gain, what you should really look at is if that notebook had the Core i7-4910MQ as an opton back in the days. If that CPU is not listed on the notebook specs as an option, then theres no guarantee it will work.
I used to argue against people doing such trivial 'upgrades', but some people just 'want to do it anyways'.
It's a learning experience; I say let 'em do it if they want to...

Reactions: RodroX
Oct 16, 2019
Hello, I've opened the laptop to clean and make other upgrades. I did also change the paste on the cpu and gpu, but never atempted to remove the cpu. I've also looked at cpus online , like the I7s that I am loking for , they actualy sell it just by it self, or even the one I have.
The laptop it's pretty fast.....actualy. I have 16gb ram, and on top a SSD Crucial 480gb. I mainly wanted for Rendering in Adobe, it's fast I manage to render 100% cpu, but If I swap for a powerful cpu I can Render 100% with more GHZ, so I believe it will shorten the time and will be faster.

Oct 16, 2019
Thanks for the help! The laptop as it is, is pretty fast already, for what I use for. As for the price, if there's a bargain somewhere, maybe I could get it, but the information of knowing that it's possible to swap, it's something I guess. Thanks for everyone's help.

Regards