I7 rig freezes...............ALOT!!!!!!!

falconerh92

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hi, Built my new PC around 2 weeks ago here r the specs,

i7 920
ASUS P6T deluxe
1000w Antec true power quattro
3x2GB G-skill ram 1333mhz
1x WD aaks 500gb hdd
1x Seagate 250gb barracuda
1x Seagate 500gb barracuda
1x asus dvd burner
1x lg dvd burner
thermalright 120 cpu cooler
Palit GTX 295

Anyway my computer keeps freezing( not crashing) it just locks up and keeps repeating the sound it was making when it froze. it does this during start up of windows vista (64 bit), on the net, playing any games, about 8 mins into prime 95. but ive been running p95 for the last 2.5 hours no probs in safe mode, so it could be the driver i think
can anyone help me as im having to restart like every 10mins due to freezing
any advice or any thing relevant is appreciated.

You have had a number of suggestions, but it's all pretty random stuff. Time to dig in, roll up your sleeves, and get to work gathering data.

Download and run CPU-Z. take screenshots of each of the tabs, and post them. This will give us some of the hardware data.

Download and use Real Temp and Hardware Monitor. Use these to keep track of temps, and let us know what they are.

Open your device manager and look for any problems.

Once you have that done we'll be able to talk troubleshooting better.

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
do not make vista 64 download its auto driver updtaes take them manually and turn off auto update. Do this when vista has finnsihed to install :D

my rig used freeze alot too due to vistas auto driver download.

50je8.jpg

xf20l1.jpg

2a9bf5u.jpg

2071b4n.jpg

2hgbi1e.jpg

29d8cat.jpg

206j15d.jpg

falconerh92

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
So set it in the BIOS? I have played with this before as im sure its supposed to be 9-9-9-24 but whenever i changed it caused more probs

The SPD tab shows what the actual settings are supposed to be. Your RAM is currently running at 510Mhz... but that leads me to the next thing. Your CPU is overclocked.

You should have it at stock settings for now. I'm no expert on i7, but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be at 133Mhz x 20, not 170Mhz x 18.... That's why your memory frequency doesn't exactly match the SPD tab. Different core bus speeds.

No wonder your CPU is on the warm side and your system is not stable.

Yep, I've confirmed that. Your problem is that you are overclocked without taking all the needed steps to do so. You need to get back to stock settings and make sure you are stable, then head on over to the overclocking forum to discuss how to get your CPU up to that frequency and stable at the same time.

falconerh92

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
i changed the settings to7-8-8-19 and 1.5V and have been running p95 for just under an hour which is the best ive seen it do since i built it

falconerh92

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I tried running p95 and realtemp over night on bclk 133 but when i woke up the screen was frozen on 2hrs 10mins so ive reverted back to 170 and im trying again, is there anyway to tell what happened at the time it froze to know what is causing the problem?

Thanks