i7 running too hot?

kingofkind12

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Hi everyone,

New to the forums. I just purchased an i7 (3770) along with many other parts and built my first PC. It was pretty easy for the most part, I just had to sit down and really spend some time on cable management. Anyways, I downloaded RealTempGT and my temps are around the 40's c on idle. Is this too high? When I was downloading and installing itunes it got to be around 52c. Im going to be using this for gaming (WoW, BF4 and SCII) as well as moving my DVD's & Blurays to a digital library, along with some geospatial processing as well.

Thanks for your time!

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
No, I wouldn't think so. Sometimes it depends on your environment, if it's hot in the room the computer will get warm.

But I usually go by this:

50C: Alright
60C: Keep an eye on it
70C: Watch it closer
80C: Start worrying
90C: Worry some more
100C: PANIC

kingofkind12

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Im started running prime95 and temps got up to 80c.... now im concerned. I feel the airflow in my case is adequate. My room feels really cool right now. I bought a Corsair H50 and a coolermaster 212 EVO (I was going to cancel this order, but accidentally cancelled the wrong item :/ ) I plan on using the corsair. I have the White Bitfenix prodigy, so the front is a bit constricting so I bought one of the mesh front plates for it. I feel that I shouldnt have to go to these extremes to lower the temps on a stock intel.

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
[/quotemsg]Im started running prime95 and temps got up to 80c.... now im concerned. I feel the airflow in my case is adequate. My room feels really cool right now. I bought a Corsair H50 and a coolermaster 212 EVO (I was going to cancel this order, but accidentally cancelled the wrong item :/ ) I plan on using the corsair. I have the White Bitfenix prodigy, so the front is a bit constricting so I bought one of the mesh front plates for it. I feel that I shouldnt have to go to these extremes to lower the temps on a stock intel.[/quotemsg]

When it got up to 80C, was it running at 100% load?

Occasionally when I'm playing a graphically intenstive game (in my case, Metro Last Light on very high) I touched about 80C with my 660Ti, and my i5-3570K (no OC) reached about 75C after playing for roughly 2 hours, I don't worry about it much, as long as the temps go back down to idle.

Long story short, you're safe.

kingofkind12

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I have a bitfenix Prodigy case. Im worried about losing a rear and top exhaust fan, which is why I was going for the h50. Although I am also nervous about the water cooling. I would like to be down to 27cish at idle, if its possible. I will halt on returning the 212 Evo though. Thanks!

kingofkind12

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Im started running prime95 and temps got up to 80c.... now im concerned. I feel the airflow in my case is adequate. My room feels really cool right now. I bought a Corsair H50 and a coolermaster 212 EVO (I was going to cancel this order, but accidentally cancelled the wrong item :/ ) I plan on using the corsair. I have the White Bitfenix prodigy, so the front is a bit constricting so I bought one of the mesh front plates for it. I feel that I shouldnt have to go to these extremes to lower the temps on a stock intel.[/quotemsg]

When it got up to 80C, was it running at 100% load?

Occasionally when I'm playing a graphically intenstive game (in my case, Metro Last Light on very high) I touched about 80C with my 660Ti, and my i5-3570K (no OC) reached about 75C after playing for roughly 2 hours, I don't worry about it much, as long as the temps go back down to idle.

Long story short, you're safe.[/quotemsg]

It probably was 100%. It kept going from 82 to 75 back up to 82. When playing WoW it was at 55. Im more nervous about the geospatial processing I have to do. I repurchased the mesh front panel, so that should help airflow more. I am also getting a Corsair H50 and Coolermaster 212 EVO in the mail wednesday (oops...). I am going to do more research to see what is best for my case (Bitfenix Prodigy). I just dont want to have to lose an ehaust fan. Right now I have 3 exhausts going (2 top, 1 rear althouhg I feel the rear is weak).

You can rest assured that those are perfect temps on air for that processor. Only 55c in games is pretty much ice cold for that CPU. 80c is great for prime95 too. The thing you have to keep in mind about prime95 is that it is testing the max temperature possible for that CPU at those clock speeds and that voltage. Prime95 is working the CPU as hard as it can work in order to test for stability. No *real world* application is going to do that. The only time you should really worry about prime95 temps is if it shoots up to 100c or if it crashes during the test. That won't usually happen unless your processor is overclocked or defective. So don't worry about for temperatures in prime95 because those aren't *real world* results. 100 degrees Celsius is the maximum core operating temperature of your processor. And to ease your mind a little more... Processors are pretty darned hard to tear up.

Look what this guy is doing in the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qSDmMO3zQ

Granted it's not the same model of CPU as you have but the safety features built in to newer processors have only gotten better. And I, myself have accidentally left the CPU fan unplugged a couple times. Maybe twice in my entire life... And the system shuts down before any damage is done to the processor. There is no need to worry unless your games are running super slow and/or your computer is constantly shutting down due to the heat. In which case you should clean the dust out and replace thermal compound. You would be surprised how big of a difference it makes just to clean the dust out... But again... No need for you to worry about that stuff for at least 2 or more years.