Question I7 stock cooler as a case cooler

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Hi. i was thinking to buy an i7 8700 with a Master Hyper Evo 212 to cool it, since I heard that its cooler is pretty loud, and I was wondering, could I use the stock as a case cooler? And if so, how can I lower the rpm so it's not that loud? Can I connect it to a fan controller? (And if I can, via what do they connect?) Does the cooler already have a controller or do I have to buy one? Also where should I place it? Since I'm getting a Segotep Halo 6 Black case I was thinking of placing it inside-facing on the back grill, so together with the 3 front coolers of the case I get a front to back airflow. Thanks

I guess I am confused on what you are trying to do. The stock cooler on the 8700 can only be used for the CPU. If you are tight on cash, you can use the stock cooler on the 8700, but the CPU will run hot and wont hold the turbo.

I assume when you say "case coolers" you mean case fans. Just about every case comes with fans pre-installed. What they offer will be enough for now, so there is not need to even try and use the Intel stock CPU cooler as a case fan. Additionally, if you want more case fans, you can get cheap fans for only a few bucks.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I guess I am confused on what you are trying to do. The stock cooler on the 8700 can only be used for the CPU. If you are tight on cash, you can use the stock cooler on the 8700, but the CPU will run hot and wont hold the turbo.

I assume when you say "case coolers" you mean case fans. Just about every case comes with fans pre-installed. What they offer will be enough for now, so there is not need to even try and use the Intel stock CPU cooler as a case fan. Additionally, if you want more case fans, you can get cheap fans for only a few bucks.
Yes, I want to replace the stock cooler with the one I mentioned earlier and use the stock as a case fan. Obviously this won't really help at all but I mean why waste the stock cooler when I can just assemble it on the case and maybe get a tempeture half a degree lower. Btw I don't think the case offers enough coolers, I know they are 3 but they are all placed in the front of the case, so I guess I kind of need a cooler for the case' back grill, even if it's a stock fan with lowered rpm

Yes, I want to replace the stock cooler with the one I mentioned earlier and use the stock as a case fan. Obviously this won't really help at all but I mean why waste the stock cooler when I can just assemble it on the case and maybe get a tempeture half a degree lower. Btw I don't think the case offers enough coolers, I know they are 3 but they are all placed in the front of the case, so I guess I kind of need a cooler for the case' back grill, even if it's a stock fan with lowered rpm

Move one of the case fans to the rear of the case. Because airflow can be restrictive in the front of the case, typically it is best to have one more case fan bringing in air than releasing it. Have two fans in the front bringing in air and one fan in the back pushing air out of the case. Adding the Intel stock cooler as a case fan wont even change your temps by half a degree. Even if it did lower temps by half a degree, it would mean nothing as half a degree means nothing to performance for long or short term.