[SOLVED] i9-10900k overheating too much

Aug 22, 2021
Hi, I have the following configuration built on december 2020:

• Case: MSI MPG Sekira 500X
  • Motherboard: MSI Z490 Unify
  • CPU: I9-10900K
  • Cooler: MSI MAG Cooler liquid 360
From about one month I noticed that the temperature is going really high. Now just by running chrome or simply by using 20% of ram the temperature sometimes reaches 100°.. I tryed everything.. when I built this computer the temperature was always under 70°, also while playing AAA games like warzone and in the meanwhile having opened many other applications.. any idea? Thank you so much!

Solution
Yeah, that one, the RH, C, and P, adopt the pump-in-radiator design. There's a bit of problem with that design, that it doesn't work well with the popularly recommended top mounted radiator setups.
Maybe you already knew this, but AIOs are not topped off with fluid, so there is air present, and that air will rise and collect at the highest point of the loop. Over time, that fluid slowly permeates the tubes and air volume increases.
The pump should always stay lubricated.
But with the PIR design, mounting such a unit at the top... the air collects in the radiator, but the pump is also up there. It doesn't take long for temperature issues to pop up because the pump can't be kept wet this way.
Ideally, this kind of unit should be mounted...
Aug 22, 2021
Hi Phaaze 88, thank you for your reply. I have a 360R, top mounted. The air flow id directed to the bottom to help the air to flow in the radiator. I tryed also the inverse air flow but I noticed that it was bad because the air was countering the top mounted fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that one, the RH, C, and P, adopt the pump-in-radiator design. There's a bit of problem with that design, that it doesn't work well with the popularly recommended top mounted radiator setups.
Maybe you already knew this, but AIOs are not topped off with fluid, so there is air present, and that air will rise and collect at the highest point of the loop. Over time, that fluid slowly permeates the tubes and air volume increases.
The pump should always stay lubricated.
But with the PIR design, mounting such a unit at the top... the air collects in the radiator, but the pump is also up there. It doesn't take long for temperature issues to pop up because the pump can't be kept wet this way.
Ideally, this kind of unit should be mounted at the front... but I saw another problem: https://us.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-SEKIRA-500X/Specification
The Sekira 500X doesn't support 360mm rads in the front.

Solution
Aug 22, 2021
Wow! Thank you so much, I had no idea of where the problem was. So basicly my liquid cooler is not the right one, in fact the issue was coming time by time, exactly as you mentioned. I'm not that expert, expecially with cooling components but I know that this one of the most important part.. do you have any suggestion about which solution should I adopt? Any cooler which might be the right one for my setup?