Question i9 10900k overheating

Jun 17, 2024
Hi ive tried everything to cool down my cpu, put on a new fan bought the Corsair H100x RGB Elite 240 mm, changed the thermal paste, cleaned the whole PC changed the ram and my cpu keeps overheating when doing anything else that staying Idle, it goes from 50C to 90-100C in a second, can somebody tell me what to do,

This is my build
Procesador Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 10 procesadores principales, 20 procesadores lógicos
16gb Ram 3600Mhz
4070 ti,
Meg Z590 Unify
850W Power unit

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
How long has your PC been doing this for? Is this only since fitting the AIO cooler? What cooler were you using before, and were there any problems beforehand?

A few possibilities:
  • AIO fan and pump cables plugged into incorrect headers
  • AIO fitted in poor orientation
  • AIO faulty
  • Insufficient case airflow
  • CPU heatsink not seated properly
  • CPU power profile in BIOS is inappropriate (e.g. no power limits)
I'd start by checking if the AIO coolant is warming up and flowing.

Reactions: Jorge101
Jun 17, 2024
How long has your PC been doing this for? Is this only since fitting the AIO cooler? What cooler were you using before, and were there any problems beforehand?

A few possibilities:
  • AIO fan and pump cables plugged into incorrect headers
  • AIO fitted in poor orientation
  • AIO faulty
  • Insufficient case airflow
  • CPU heatsink not seated properly
  • CPU power profile in BIOS is inappropriate (e.g. no power limits)
I'd start by checking if the AIO coolant is warming up and flowing.
My pc has been doing this for 2 weeks now, the other AIO did worse it got to 100 all the time, im not Overclocking anything. The fans are connected on CPU fan 1 and the pump to pump fan, it has decent airflow 2 intakes on the front 1 exhaust on the back and the cooler fans exhaust too, the radiator is on top with the tubes going from the left side of it to the right side of the pump, how can I check the profile power? (its on the optimized I restarted CMOS, the coolant should be warm in booth? last question when you mean the heatsink not seated properly, how it should be?

The proper way to tighten any CPU heatsink is to gradually tighten each screws in a cross pattern. When I first installed my heatsink, I thought all was good, but when I turned the system on, I was getting way high temperatures. When I checked my heatsink installation, I discovered that one or more of the screws was not fully screwed in causing bad contact between the heatsink and CPU. To make sure, I loosened all the screws then gradually redid each one in the cross pattern until I was sure they all were properly tightened.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
how can I check the profile power? (its on the optimized I restarted CMOS
The motherboard may be ignoring the Intel power limits. Check to see if OC Genie / Creator Genie is turned on in EZ BIOS.

10900K should have 250W turbo boost (56 sec duration) and 125W base power. AKA PL2/PL1/Tau
These are called Long Duration Power Limit, Short Duration Power Limit, and Long Duration Maintained in MSI Advanced BIOS (page 35 in the manual). MSI is known to set these default to ‘unlimited’ (eg 4096W PL2 and PL1).

Regardless, the temp shouldn’t be shooting to 100C in 5 seconds even with these power limits. More likely to be related to the AIO installation.

Reactions: Jorge101
Jun 17, 2024
The motherboard may be ignoring the Intel power limits. Check to see if OC Genie / Creator Genie is turned on in EZ BIOS.

10900K should have 250W turbo boost (56 sec duration) and 125W base power. AKA PL2/PL1/Tau
These are called Long Duration Power Limit, Short Duration Power Limit, and Long Duration Maintained in MSI Advanced BIOS (page 35 in the manual). MSI is known to set these default to ‘unlimited’ (eg 4096W PL2 and PL1).

Regardless, the temp shouldn’t be shooting to 100C in 5 seconds even with these power limits. More likely to be related to the AIO installation.
I tried changing the PLs as you said but it just underperforms like a 30% off, I Guess the Intel turbo Boost doesnt kicks in with those? I changed the ratio to 49x and the cpu chache V to 1.2V and it peaks at 88C stressing the cpu on CPU Z, so Maybe its not the AIO? The 10900k should be able to get 5100mhz at lower than 60C temps or so I think, how should I setup my BIOS to optimize it

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Make sure you haven’t got Long Duration and Short Duration entered the wrong way around. I think they’ve named it confusingly.

P.S. HWinfo monitor -> CPU package power will tell you exactly how many watts are being drawn

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2024
Make sure you haven’t got Long Duration and Short Duration entered the wrong way around. I think they’ve named it confusingly.

P.S. HWinfo monitor -> CPU package power will tell you exactly how many watts are being drawn

Its drawin 198 Wts, I tried to put 250 in both since any of the other ways it underperforms and now its overheating again

@Jorge101

Your 10900K might be running hot because the default CPU voltage your motherboard uses is excessive. I have a similar 10850K 10 core CPU and a similar 240mm Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT cooler .

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/p/cpu...0i-rgb-pro-xt-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060043-ww

When overclocked to 4900 MHz, the full load Cinebench temperatures are great. This is the same speed a 10900K should run Cinebench at when fully loaded and not overclocked.

zJuSAPA.png

Use HWiNFO to monitor the VCore voltage while running Cinebench. Some motherboards will use 1.30 V or beyond when 1.20 V might be enough. Reducing the voltage to what your CPU actually needs can make a big difference. This Corsair AIO is having no problem dissipating 180W of heat energy without the CPU temperatures going crazy.

High room temperatures during the summer can increase the CPU temperature.

For 24/7 use, I prefer to lock all 10 cores to a constant speed of 5000 MHz. This makes it easier to find a low voltage that can run reliably. When the low power C states are enabled in the BIOS, you can run this speed even when the CPU is idle with very low core temperatures. Slowing the CPU down when lightly loaded is not necessary when the low power C states are enabled.

XtwafYL.png