[SOLVED] i9-11900k turbo mode causing really high temps ?

Jan 25, 2022
I recently decided to try my hand at building a pc from scratch.

I've been playing games ( some poorly optimised)
And it's been running fine, cpu temps no higher than 50 degrees. I realised my clock speed was staying at 3.4 - 3.5 ghz.
I ran firestorm (3d mark) and the clock speed was the same across all cores and temps stayed lower than 65 degrees

I saw in the bios that turbo mode was off
I turned it on and ran firestorm again and now the cpu is staying at 4.7 - 4.8ghz across all cores
And the tems on the cpu part of the benchmark got to 100 degrees within 45 seconds and stayed there.
I'm quite new to this and pulling my hair out as I can use it comfortably with turbo mode turned off but then my clock speed doesnt change ?

i9-11900k
Coolermaster master air MA624 stealth
Asus z590-e
Corsair vengeance 2400 ( replacing with 3600 vengence asap )
Corsair airflow 7000 case
980 pro m.2 1TB

I've never posted here before so if I've missed any information I'm sorry and will post anything else required

Solution
but then my clock speed doesnt change ?

I have a question for you: Why do you think that you need higher CPU clocks in the first place? Do you see any noticeable difference in terms of 3.4 Ghz vs 4.8 Ghz? Or is it just for bragging rights/ your own peace of mind?

Btw, CPU clock speed does change, depending on the load on CPU. If your CPU can handle the load at 3.4 Ghz, then there's no need for it to run at 4.8 Ghz. Now, if the load would be far more taxing on CPU, CPU will increase it's frequency as well, as need be, up to 5.3 Ghz. Given that you have sufficient cooling and thermal headroom, for CPU to run at such high frequency.

For example, i have i5-6600K and it's base clock is 3.5 Ghz, while it can turbo up to 3.9 Ghz...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but then my clock speed doesnt change ?

I have a question for you: Why do you think that you need higher CPU clocks in the first place? Do you see any noticeable difference in terms of 3.4 Ghz vs 4.8 Ghz? Or is it just for bragging rights/ your own peace of mind?

Btw, CPU clock speed does change, depending on the load on CPU. If your CPU can handle the load at 3.4 Ghz, then there's no need for it to run at 4.8 Ghz. Now, if the load would be far more taxing on CPU, CPU will increase it's frequency as well, as need be, up to 5.3 Ghz. Given that you have sufficient cooling and thermal headroom, for CPU to run at such high frequency.

For example, i have i5-6600K and it's base clock is 3.5 Ghz, while it can turbo up to 3.9 Ghz. And when my PC idles, CPU clocks are 0.8 Ghz.
Now, do i need my CPU clocks be at 3.9 Ghz (max what my CPU can do on default settings), on all cores, all the time? No.
Instead, i let it be, with varying frequency and let it to increase whenever it needs to. Running all cores at highest frequency, will also wear out CPU much faster. E.g if i were to OC my CPU to 4.2 Ghz, on all cores, and letting it run 4.2 Ghz all the time, every day, my CPU would be toast within ~2 years or so. But keeping the default settings in terms of frequency, i can easily get 10+ years out of it. Thus far, i've had my CPU in service for 5.5 years and it is still going strong. And CPU upgrade that i have to eventually do, i'd love to do it because my CPU gets too slow (obsolete), rather than me burning it out with high level OC, just for bragging rights.

I turned it on and ran firestorm again and now the cpu is staying at 4.7 - 4.8ghz across all cores
And the tems on the cpu part of the benchmark got to 100 degrees within 45 seconds and stayed there.

This clearly shows that you do not have sufficient cooling on your CPU, when running 8 cores at 4.8 Ghz with 100% load. Sure, you have big air cooler but do you have single, dual or triple fan setup on that? Also, are the fans stock ones or did you replace them with better ones? Since the stock 140mm fan, while good at static pressure, is poor in terms of airflow.

Solution
Jan 25, 2022

For example, i have i5-6600K and it's base clock is 3.5 Ghz, while it can turbo up to 3.9 Ghz. And when my PC idles, CPU clocks are 0.8 Ghz.
Now, do i need my CPU clocks be at 3.9 Ghz (max what my CPU can do on default settings), on all cores, all the time? No.
Instead, i let it be, with varying frequency and let it to increase whenever it needs to. Running all cores at highest frequency, will also wear out CPU much faster. E.g if i were to OC my CPU to 4.2 Ghz, on all cores, and letting it run 4.2 Ghz all the time, every day, my CPU would be toast within ~2 years or so. But keeping the default settings in terms of frequency, i can easily get 10+ years out of it. Thus far, i've had my CPU in service for 5.5 years and it is still going strong. And CPU upgrade that i have to eventually do, i'd love to do it because my CPU gets too slow (obsolete), rather than me burning it out with high level OC, just for bragging rights.

This clearly shows that you do not have sufficient cooling on your CPU, when running 8 cores at 4.8 Ghz with 100% load. Sure, you have big air cooler but do you have single, dual or triple fan setup on that? Also, are the fans stock ones or did you replace them with better ones? Since the stock 140mm fan, while good at static pressure, is poor in terms of airflow.

Firstly thank you for your speedy reply

It wasnt so much that I needed the higher clock speeds. I just noticed that on task manager at idle it was at 3.5ghz and then on a reasonably demanding game it was still at 3.5.
I've always thought that it should boost itself and is it normal that it doesnt ever fluctuate and stayed fixed across all cores at 3504.
In all honestly I cant say I noticed a massive change in performance it was more the fact it seemed to be static.

I get what you are saying , I guess I got a bit ahead of myself. I thought that because it could give me more juice I should use it but from what you say that's not the case.

I have a dual fan set up and they are the original fans that came with the cooler. I originally planned to get a kraken x73 but a friend told me I wouldn't need to spend that much and suggested my current one.

I can only apologise for my ignorance although I've been gaming on pc for the best part of 18 years I've never built one myself .

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
on task manager

Poor place to check system status. HWinfo64 is much better. CoreTemp is also good.

I have both of the latter (among other sys utility programs) and just checking, task manager reported 200-300 Mhz less than either of the latter two. Also, task manager didn't update the readings as fast.

I've always thought that it should boost itself and is it normal that it doesnt ever fluctuate and stayed fixed across all cores at 3504.

Win settings can also play a role here, keeping frequency stuck on same level.
E.g Settings -> Power & Sleep -> Advanced Power Settings
I'm running High Performance plan.

And it may not only be Win. Some MoBo utility programs (e.g MSI Dragon Center, if you have MSI MoBo), can also limit/freeze your CPU frequency.

I thought that because it could give me more juice I should use it but from what you say that's not the case.

CPU OC, yes, gives you more juice, with a drawback of shortening CPU lifespan. The higher the OC - the greater the reduction in lifespan.

In similar example: how far can you walk before you're exhausted? Now, if you'd jog, can you get the same distance? How about when you do full sprint?

I have a dual fan set up and they are the original fans that came with the cooler. I originally planned to get a kraken x73 but a friend told me I wouldn't need to spend that much and suggested my current one.

MA624 stealth did review well in TH's review, being ~5C worse than NH-D15,
link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-masterair-ma624-stealth

So, you seeing 100C out of your CPU, could be due to mounting pressure and/or poor thermal paste used. Since the latter isn't created equal. Arctic Cooling MX-4 and MX-5 are one of the best out there, just shy of actual liquid metal.

Kraken X73 is solid AIO. However, like with all AIOs, there isn't any cooling improvement over air coolers since in the end, both are still cooled by ambient air. What do you get with AIO, is higher purchase price, far shorter longevity, and sometimes, even more noise. While looks are individual.

I've been gaming on pc for the best part of 18 years I've never built one myself .

I've dealt with PCs 20+ years and been a casual gamer about the same length of time. :D Though, i love working with PCs. Have built several for own use (full specs with pics in my sig) and i don't mind helping out others here, in TH forums, either. :sol:

Reactions: Santana1992