Question I9-12900KF running very hot. Possible issue with CPU voltage?

Nov 3, 2023
Hardware specifications:
CPUIntel Core i9 12900KF 3.2 GHz 30MB
MotherboardGigabyte B760M DS3H AX DDR4 (BIOS = F15)
CPU coolerbe quiet! Pure Rock 2
PSUMSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850W
SSDKingston NV2 M.2 NVMe Gen 4 2TB
Thermal pasteDeepCool Thermal D9

Problem description:
Hello. 4 days after installing an SSD and updating the BIOS on my new pc, I started having a lot of trouble with overheating. At idle (1-2%), my CPU is around 34-36°C, but during a bit higher loads (3-12%) the CPU can get as hot as 60°C, and at even higher loads (30%+) it can get as hot as 80°C. After running a stress test the temperature reached 100°C, and dropped down to the 30° range in about 2 seconds after the test ended, this leads me to believe that the cooler is working but not efficiently enough.

At first I thought that I accidentally bumped my CPU cooler causing air to get in between the cooler and the CPU drying up the thermal paste, however, this does not seem to be the case since cleaning/reapplying thermal paste has not helped.

After browsing around the web for some time, I suspect that the problem could be with the voltages delivered to my CPU, one user in a similar thread on this forum suggested to watch JayZ's videos about underclocking, but I have not been able to adapt the information conveyed in them to my specific problem, so I was wondering what you think the problem could be. Please see the included image from the gigabyte control center displaying CPU voltages, one thing I noted is that the clock frequency (and perhaps voltage) seems a bit high for such a low CPU load.

All ideas and advice are appreciated, please excuse any grammatical errors (english is not my first language).

Kind regards.
/Elias

Nov 3, 2023
1) Are you OCing any part of the system? If so, reverse those changes and see if it improves.
2) Check your temps using more than one source. I recommend using HWInfo.
3) What type of case are you using? Does it provide enough airflow?
Thanks for the reply.
1. I have not done any overclocking.
2. I have not used several sources, but I would assume that all software reads from the same sensor. I am quite sure that the temperatures are a problem since I am experiencing crashes.
3. I have a Fractal Design Pop Air

Nov 3, 2023
What were your temperatures before you updated the BIOS?
Thanks for the reply. I can unfortunately not give any exact numbers, but they were perfectly fine during regular usage but got worse and worse with time (I believe).

Thanks for the reply.
2. I have not used several sources, but I would assume that all software reads from the same sensor. I am quite sure that the temperatures are a problem since I am experiencing crashes.
3. I have a Fractal Design Pop Air
The software does read from the sensors but not all software is created equal. I usually recommend 2 because it re-confirms if there is a potential issue or if the first option was just mis-reading something.

That case looks like it has decent air-flow so that shouldn't be an issue.

Reaching 100° C AFTER a stress test isn't uncommon. 80° C while at 30% load really isn't terrible depending on what you have running to cause it to reach that 30% load.

EDIT #1:
Where it would concern me is if you were to put it under load and then it not return back to normal in an adequate amount of time (2 secs isn't bad).

I don't know if your i9 came with a stock cooler but if it did, put it on and see what the levels are at.

Reactions: EliasL
Thanks for the reply.
Doesn't mean much, updating bios often resets it, or you have to manually reset it for it to apply, and default bios settings could be overclocked.
If that bios pic means that your 12900k is set up for 4.9Ghz all core then it is overclocked, and 1.27V for overclocked is not bad.
You can use hwinfo or any other tool to monitor clock speed of all cores, if they all go to 4.9 and stay there then you are overclocked.

Reactions: EliasL
Nov 3, 2023
The software does read from the sensors but not all software is created equal. I usually recommend 2 because it re-confirms if there is a potential issue or if the first option was just mis-reading something.

That case looks like it has decent air-flow so that shouldn't be an issue.

Reaching 100° C AFTER a stress test isn't uncommon. 80° C while at 30% load really isn't terrible depending on what you have running to cause it to reach that 30% load.

EDIT #1:
Where it would concern me is if you were to put it under load and then it not return back to normal in an adequate amount of time (2 secs isn't bad).

I don't know if your i9 came with a stock cooler but if it did, put it on and see what the levels are at.
Thanks for putting further effort into this. I took a look at HWInfo and the numbers seem to coincide. Unfortunately I only have the "be quiet! Pure Rock 2" cooler.

If you have any further suggestions on what I could try, please feel free to share.

Nov 3, 2023
Doesn't mean much, updating bios often resets it, or you have to manually reset it for it to apply, and default bios settings could be overclocked.
If that bios pic means that your 12900k is set up for 4.9Ghz all core then it is overclocked, and 1.27V for overclocked is not bad.
You can use hwinfo or any other tool to monitor clock speed of all cores, if they all go to 4.9 and stay there then you are overclocked.
Thank you for the input. Just to confirm that I understood you correctly. My cores range from around 2Ghz to 4.9Ghz, at any given point of time (the values are not the same for every core). This would indicate that I am not overclocking. Correct?

Thank you for the input. Just to confirm that I understood you correctly. My cores range from around 2Ghz to 4.9Ghz, at any given point of time (the values are not the same for every core). This would indicate that I am not overclocking. Correct?
Run something that stresses the CPU, like the stress test you mentioned, if it runs at 4.9 on all cores until it hits 100 degrees then it's overclocked.

TRENDING THREADS