Question i9 13900 build advice

Enzoxs

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
www.zerotoningarms.co.uk
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on some upgrades please!

Current build is:

Ryzen 3800x
AsRock X570 Pro 4
32GB 3600MHz CL 16 DDR4 RAM
1TB NVME Boot drive
RTX 2070 Super 8GB
1200w PSU
2x 3TB HDDs
NZXT 510i
MSI MAG Coreliquid P240

Haven't changed anything besides AIO since building it in 2020, however I started working with heavier footage and Premiere Pro isn't smooth anymore. I get crashes and a VRAM error when I ask a lot of it.

So, I'm wanting to upgrade to an i9 13th gen. I'm unsure on the difference between the different models. Anything I should look for or is it not too important?

For the mobo I was looking at Z790? Something like this? - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-prime-z790-p-lga-1700-ddr5-atx-motherboard-mb-6jt-as.html

Haven't chosen a RAM kit yet but will go for DDR5 64GB

Everything else I'll reuse, besides the case. Any recommendations for specific parts? I'd like to cut costs where possible but if it makes sense to spend more I will.

Thanks

More details on that 1200 watt PSU?

I think there is an F model; and it would lack integrated graphics.

Minor differences between 13900 and 13900K.

Some would try to point you toward 13700 series instead, mostly for cost and cooling reasons.

Reactions: Why_Me
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on some upgrades please!

Current build is:

Ryzen 3800x
AsRock X570 Pro 4
32GB 3600MHz CL 16 DDR4 RAM
1TB NVME Boot drive
RTX 2070 Super 8GB
1200w PSU
2x 3TB HDDs
NZXT 510i
MSI MAG Coreliquid P240

Haven't changed anything besides AIO since building it in 2020, however I started working with heavier footage and Premiere Pro isn't smooth anymore. I get crashes and a VRAM error when I ask a lot of it.

So, I'm wanting to upgrade to an i9 13th gen. I'm unsure on the difference between the different models. Anything I should look for or is it not too important?

For the mobo I was looking at Z790? Something like this? - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-prime-z790-p-lga-1700-ddr5-atx-motherboard-mb-6jt-as.html

Haven't chosen a RAM kit yet but will go for DDR5 64GB

Everything else I'll reuse, besides the case. Any recommendations for specific parts? I'd like to cut costs where possible but if it makes sense to spend more I will.

Thanks
What will be the primary uses of your PC?

Video and photo editing, mostly Premiere Pro and After Effects, and Lightroom. Do play a few games but it's not a priority at all. I'll upgrade my GPU when I can afford it.
If you decide on the i9 then I would look at the 13900 paired up with a 360 AIO or even preferably a 420 AIO along with a board that has decent VRM's.

There are several 13th gen I9 products.
I9-13900 will turbo up to 5.6
I9-13900K will turbo up to 5.8
i9-13900KS will turbo up to 6.0
Price increases appropriately. The KS is a special binned product and sells at a premium because of short supply.
There are also F suffix versions of the 13900F and 13900KF which omit integrated graphics.
I do not recommend the F versions.
You save a pittance, if at all.
If you have a problem with a discrete graphics card, integrated graphics will still run all but games very well.
And... integrated gets you quick sync which you may want:

Looking at I9 lga1700 processors on newegg, it would seem to me that the i9-13900K is the right buy.
Any unit is a massive upgrade to a 3800x, so in that respect the choice is not that important.

You should know that the MSI MAG Coreliquid P240 has been recalled.

No matter. It seems that the 13900K processor does very well using less than top end coolers:

I have no opinion on Z790 based motherboards. So far as I can tell, they all work well.
I have heard that ASUS is no longer a step above like it used to be.
You might want to give asrock Z790 a try since you are familiar with it.

Consider if you really want DDR5, components are more expensive and performance is similar.