Question i9 7980xe

Nov 15, 2019
Hey everyone

so my question is a little large.
I have a i9 7980xe, mobo asus rog rampage VI, 128GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2933MHz, cooler Noctua NH-D15
Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case, 1 fan in the back, 3 fans in front; cleaned the dust inside the case; changed the thermal compund yesterday with the one in the box from noctua; secured the cooler properly; updated the bios to latest version;

I'm using this for PC rendering
my question is why when I render the speed stops at 3.3ghz?
I tried different things that has unhealthy impact on ther sides like:
from AI suite 3, I did a 5-way optimization(OC). it was at the limit of throtering with 100-104* temperature.
another time, from Bios I selected in EZ7mode performance mode instead of normal and it rendered faster, again.
the thing is, I understand from people that it should run by itself with no OC to its max limit of 4.2/4.3 whatever is the number.
I have to say that after all these tweaks it's pretty hard to bring it back at 35* in idle and that happening with all fans at max speed.

What can I do?

Thanks,

CAi3DUW.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, that isn't necessarily what it will do.

If temperature and power limits allow, SOME cores will run at a high boost clock. But when you load up the whole thing, by default, it will clock down after a short while.

• Processor Base Frequency 2.60 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency 4.20 GHz
So you are actually achieving 3.3Ghz across all cores. Better than it is rated for.

Now if you want to force it to try for higher clocks, you will want to be synching all cores and setting the clock multiplier to somewhere near your target.

18 cores is something to take seriously. Even a high end cooler like the DH-15 isn't necessarily going to be enough. At 2.6Ghz and stock voltage Intel is rating it at 165W.

Now your use of automatic overclocking and pre-sets may be hurting you. The voltage may be set very high in relation to target speeds.

I suggest reading up on more traditional overclocking guides.

The NH-D15 is a good cooler, but, I'd say it is probably not quite up to the task of the 180-200 watts at load behemoths...

It hought the 7980XE was listed as requiring a 280mm radiator type water cooler, but,....I'd be happy if your cooler can sustain 3.6 GHz under load....at 6 cores at those clocks being a 65Watt load, 180-190 watts power draw at sustained loads under all cores would be pretty close...

(Check your BIOS for any power limits as well, as I'm sure you will be bumping into any 135-150 watt limits soon enough)

Nov 15, 2019
I see, so which cooler would be enough for the max power this cpu can reach?
Also, where or how do I check for the power limits in BIOS?
How could I lower the voltage and not make it unstable as a system? cuz both up and down ways do that, if I understand it correctly.
I can stop using the presets, but it's a little out my skills to understand too much out of an OC guide.
Maybe a specific recommendation please?
Thanks a lot for your responses. Starting to clear out some issues

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are no specific recommendations for overclocking. Only upper limits on temperature and voltage. Every CPU is different. And with innumerable cooling solutions, ambient temperature, and different use cases.

Not sure about power limits, I know some BIOS have them. You would want to read through the manual.But it sounds like you need a lot more basic background information before you get started.

You lower the voltage until it becomes unstable, then set it slightly above that. When going the other way, you do the same. You monitor temperature as you increase clock speeds, increase voltage when it becomes unstable, and repeat until you are no longer comfortable with the temperature. Or it stops getting faster with additional voltage.

As it sits, I would look at the CPU core voltage and see if it is reasonable compared to this:

Skylake-XSSE FrequencyAVX2 FrequencyAVX-512 FrequencyVoltage% Capable
7980XE4.10GHz3.80GHz3.60GHz1.075V100%
7980XE4.20GHz3.90GHz3.70GHz1.087VTop 89%
7980XE4.30GHz4.00GHz3.80GHz1.100VTop 72%
7980XE4.40GHz4.10GHz3.90GHz1.112VTop 35%
7980XE4.50GHz4.20GHz4.00GHz1.125VTop 8%
7980XE4.60GHz4.30GHz4.10GHz1.137VTop 2%

Comes from Silicon lottery, so they have a decent sample size.

Now, they don't tell you want cooling solution they used for these tests, I imagine some form of water cooling since it would make for faster binning.

Doesn't matter all that much though, just a guide on what the CPU can do. What you have to find out is what your cooling solution allows. If you hard set it to 1.075 and try to run it at 4.1Ghz and it overheats, then your cooler is either improperly installed or not good enough.

Nov 15, 2019
es unstable, then set it slightly above that. When going the other way, you do the same. You monitor tem

I see, thanks a lot! I will try do that. Will also email Silicon Lottery see if I can purchase online an assistance service.
Btw is there a way to find out if my aircooler is mounted properly? or if it gives the right results? test it somehow and compare the scores?

Nov 15, 2019
real world tasks, like rendering? of course. I've been using it for 9 months now. that was the thing it kind of went to 90 pretty easy.
I would love to do a total reset of it, first tweak it to default(then OC it), but I haven't succeeded 100% cause I tweaked it in both BIOS and AI suite, and hopefully is by default now in intel extreme tunning.
so start fresh any future tweak I might do.
there was a by default button in bios, but it kind of went unstable after pressing it and it kept restarting and blue screened. so tweak it somehow to present stable but a little unhealthy status.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Does your rendering use the AVX instruction sets? That is why it has its own offset, uses more power than more normal tasks.

I'm afraid I can't just guess where your stability problems came from. Either too much voltage at stock causing rapid overheating, or not enough for your use case.

Reactions: laurst
I'd copy whatever cooling solutions most reputable/professional reviewers use for 7980XE reviews...odds are they went with something at least adequate.

If using default Prime95/blended, temps are much lower (at least 12C) than with the generally accepted 'standard' of small FFTs/custom mode (no AVX/AVX2)

Reactions: laurst
Nov 15, 2019
I'm not sure, I use 3dsmax with Corona and Vray. Probably? I never found an explanation about this AVX and my softwares. Is there anything I can do? a specific solution aplied to them only maybe.
I could try upgrading the cooler in the close future.