[SOLVED] i9-9900K Blue Screen for certain games

greggoodwin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
greggoodwin.com
I currently have my i9-9900K OCed on my Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro motherboard.
My clock ratio is set to 50, turbo ratios at 50 and vCore set to 1.300v
This seems to be pretty safe, I have a Thermaltake Floe AIO Triple Riing 360 connected and stress tested with no issues, temperatures just fine.

For some reason a handful of games will blue screen my computer after 15-20 minutes of gameplay.
Has anyone experienced this? Reverting the overclock fixes the blue screen but I am wondering if I can play with the settings to help, do I need to maybe mess with the vcore voltage?

Edit: Currently have a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited:
Solution
Does setting an all-core max turbo of 'only' 4900 MHz bring stability? (remember, only some 80% of 9900K's could achieve all-core 5 GHz with stability, and, many certainly will need a Vcore boost to get there; add in .01V-.02V at a time, and retest)

Not sure of which (if any) games nowadays might utilize AVX or AVX2, but, many use AVX negative clockspeed offsets to induce lower clock speeds under those workloads, so, that can't hurt...
Does setting an all-core max turbo of 'only' 4900 MHz bring stability? (remember, only some 80% of 9900K's could achieve all-core 5 GHz with stability, and, many certainly will need a Vcore boost to get there; add in .01V-.02V at a time, and retest)

Not sure of which (if any) games nowadays might utilize AVX or AVX2, but, many use AVX negative clockspeed offsets to induce lower clock speeds under those workloads, so, that can't hurt...

Solution

greggoodwin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
greggoodwin.com

Thank you, I bumped up the Vcore to 1.310v and have been able to maintain stability. Right now I have been playing Outer Wilds for over 30 minutes without a blue screen so that may be exactly what I needed to do. Thank you, will report back if I ended up having to take further steps.

Last edited:

Bass Junkie

Commendable
Jul 21, 2019
can u pass asus real bench stress test / prime 95 26.6 or prime 95 non avx ? whea error free ? could be your ram needs more vccio / vcssa or volts maybe ? can you pass hci mem test ?

TRENDING THREADS